Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New Member, Willing to help Metro Area BMW Owners.

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by mrench01, Sep 14, 2009.

mrench01 guest

Hi all,

I recently bought my first BMW. I bought a used 1997 BMW 318ti with 108K miles. I have some photos in my user profile but since I just joined not everything is working yet for the forum. I have started buying some of those "special" BMW only tools.

I attached a photo of my baby.

If anyone lives near Rochester MI and needs some help wrenching on their BMW, I am willing to help. Always great to hang with fellow BMW motor heads.

Recent work on my 318ti.

New Stereo.
    Complete Brake Overhaul with new Rotors, Pads, Calipers, Hoses.
    New Idler Pullys & Betls.
    Fixed Oil Filter Housing O-Ring / Gasket Leak.
    Recovered Headliner, Moonroof Fabric Shuttle, A-B-C Pillars, and made rear cargo shelf with heather gray tweed.
    Polished yellow and scratches out of headlight housings.
    Installed Type #44 e46 BMW Wheels (17" x 8")
    Serviced Rear Diff (fluid replacement).
    Oil Change -w- Filter.
    Air Filter Change.
    Gas Filter Change.

I will soon do a Auto Trans filter / fluid replacement.

Happy motoring!

~Mike R~

mrench01 guest

I should mention that I live in the Northern Detroit Metro Area. Duh! ;-)

BTW, the edit to my original post from the admin was due to a misunderstanding. I was joking that my help was cheap because I was only charging for beer (German of course) and NOT because I was soliciting for business. I am sincerely sorry if anyone took it the wrong way. This was not my intention.

Sincerely,

~Mike R~

granthr

Great looking car. The E46 rims really give it a contemporary look! :D

mrench01 guest

Thanks, I thought they looked very nice on the e36's. It really sets off the hatchback 318ti. Now all I need is a 6cyl swap!
    ;)

Mike

granthr

Talk to Paul (MooseheadM5 here on the forums) he has a 318ti with an I6 ( I think it is an M50). It is a great upgrade, although you might as well put in an S50 or S52. :D

mrench01 guest

If I do a swap, I want to keep OBDII. Some of the 6cyl swaps require an adaptation from a OBDI engine to my OBDII harness.

~Mike R~

io619 guest

Yeah, I've always like the #44's. I was going to put them on my E36 as well ... but was sold before moving, so never got the chance. Loved the Ti's, but couldn't find one in good enough condition for my tastes.

Was excited to hear that BMW was working on a 1 series "sport back" design, but it's apparently been axed because of financials.

Have fun with it!

mrench01 guest

Yea, I would buy a 1 Series hatchback with the Turbo 4cyl the day it shipped to Bavarian BMW near my house. If it was in White or Silver it would be a done deal. Too bad BMW won't ship it to the USA. I think that since Mini's fully loaded come close in price to a BMW 128i base price of $29K USD, BMW feels that there is too much model competition. It's too bad.

~Mike R~

az3579

I believe it would be illegal to go from an OBD-II engine to an OBD-I if you car originally came with an OBD-II...

I think I read that somewhere on the forums. But yeah, a 325ti - or 328ti in your case - would be awesome. :cool:

(Or a 332ti :D)

mrench01 guest

That is only in states with a Smog check. Here in MI you can pretty much do the swap with no issues with it being legal from an EPA point of view. On the 318ti.org forum there area several people who have done the OBDII to OBDI conversion. I think there is even a guide to modifying the harness to complete the task. I am nerd when it comes to attention to detail and I would want to make the conversion look as OEM as possible.

If I could do it I would like a 330ti. ;-) I was thinking 328ti for sure as I know of at least 2 donor cars at local junk yards. One only has 56K on the engine. However, since my M44 still has at least 100K+ of useful life in it, I will run it till it dies. That gives me time to get the suspension, body, and interior restored.

Every day my BMW gets a little newer. ;-)

~Mike R~