Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

how to deoxidize aluminum trim?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by stevehecht, Sep 11, 2009.

John in VA

Oil, WD-40, peanut butter and Vaseline are short-term solutions. It depends on what you're looking for.

BMWCCA1

Of course. I thought I made that perfectly clear here:

The price is certainly right! You'll get at least what you paid for.

:D

stevehecht

Are oily substances essentially doing what water does to oxidized trim, but it just lasts longer? When the trim is wet with water it looks fine, but as soon as the water evaporates it's back to bad. I suppose both types of liquid (oil and water) smooth over the imperfections in the clear coat--temporarily.

dogsbark26

BavAuto Classic Trim Coat

I used the BavAuto kit this summer on my 89 iX aluminum. I am pleased with the result. I don't believe you are removing a clear coat with the sandpaper that comes in the kit. I think it is just for removing oxidation. Not a great deal of sanding was required for good results. What is necessary for good results is a steady hand and a quick swipe with the coating stuff (polyurethane?).
    I used the masking tape that came with the package to mask the areas adjacent to the aluminum. I left the tape on for several days instead of removing it right away which resulted in adhesive being left on the paint. The 3M adhesive remover I used melted spots in the coating stuff so I have to do it all over but I will use this product again. I am pleased with those areas I didn't screw up.

stevehecht

Thanks for the feedback dogsbark26, and welcome to the forum! I guess I will give it a try since the alternatives in that price range are nil.

dogsbark26

Any comment on product? Have you used it yet? Looks like I will end up waiting till next spring to re-do mine unless we get several more days like today in Chicago. It'll be too cold soon.

stevehecht

I've decided to go with some 800 grit sandpaper and Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. I hope to get to it tomorrow, and at least get a start on a portion of the trim as a test. I'll let you know how it goes.

stevehecht

I used the 800 grit paper and Mothers Mag&Aluminum Polish today. I estimate it removed at least 50% of the oxidation; I'd say the trim now looks mildly oxidized rather than moderaely oxidized. The question is, how long will it last before it becomes re-oxidized like before? The nice thing is, this solution cost <$10.

EDIT: I checked the trim the next day in better light and I'd say the oxidation has improved by at least 80%.