Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Desired options for the 335i coupe?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by rbindc, Sep 8, 2009.

rbindc

I am about to special order a 2010 335i coupe. I plan on getting the M package, primarily because I like the wheel designs offered. Some questions:

(1) Does the M package include a stiffer suspension like the Sport package?

(2) What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the 18" vs 19" wheels (other tha cost)?

(3) Does the M package come with run-flat tires? The internet description only states, " mixed performance tires," whereas the Sport package explicitly states "mixed run-flat performance tires."

I'm also considering the Logic 7 sound system but have seen some bad reviews of this upgrade. Any comments?

Finally is active steering worth getting?

Joeb427 guest

1..M is a trim only upgrade
    2.A bit harder ride
    3.All 3 Series have RFT.

Logic 7 is an ok system but nothing special.
    The Mark Levinson in a Lexus is much better.

Active steering is said to be a very nice option.

az3579

1. Wrong. The M-Sport Package does come with a sport suspension. It offers nicer bumpers, shadowline trim, M steering wheel, AND the sport suspension.
    2. Larger wheels just means it'll look nicer but will also be easier to bend the wheels should you hit a pothole, and will cost more to replace, and the ride will be harsher.
    3. Not entirely true. M3's don't come with RFT's (they're technically 3 series). Based on the description that the website gives when building one, it appears the non M cars with M-Sport package come with regular performance tires and the regular sport package ones come with performance run-flats, but based on research it appears all non-M cars come with one form of runflat or another.

Joeb427 guest

Where is the sport suspension upgrade in the M Sport package?
    A sport-tuned suspension is standard along with the ZSP sport steering wheel on coupes.

ZMP M Sport Package
    Includes 18" M Star-Spoke (style 193M) alloy wheels with staggered width performance tires, increased top speed limiter, Park Distance Control (rear only), Aerodynamic Package (consisting of modified front/rear bumpers and rocker panels), Shadowline exterior window trim, M style steering wheel, sport seats and Anthracite colored headliner

I have shadowline trim without the M Sport.

fshubert

I just picked up my 335i and had the choice of what I got (Sport, Premium, Cold) or the M Sport package. The difference was $1100 (more for the other). The wheels had the "M" stamp as well as being the 193 styling with RFTs (my sport has 18" asymetrical RFTs), the steering wheel had the "M" stamp (mine don't but is same), and the rear bumper had the parking sensors and the area around the exhaust was trimmed in black vs. white (my car color). I saw no reason for the additional money for just pretty stuff.

az3579

If you build a car with no options and then add the M Sport package only (you can't add regular sport package AND M-Sport package) then you would have an upgraded suspension. If you get the sport package, you get the same upgraded suspension, but you don't get that upgraded suspension without any of the sport packages. So, the M Sport package includes the suspension upgrade as well as some cosmetic and trim bits. Everyone seems to overlook that the MSport package does include the sport suspension and is not purely cosmetic.

Joeb427 guest

Interesting and a bit confusing without my first cup of coffee this morning.LOL!
    All coupes come srandard with a sports suspension.
    I see in the sedan the M Sport option has the words sport tuned suspension but not on the coupe M Sport option.
    Probably a mistake by Edmunds if you're correct.

rbindc

I really appreciate the information all of you have posted.

I really don't want those RFT tires but I do want the 193M wheels offered only in the M package. Maybe I should go with the Sport package and just buy a separate set of M wheels. The Sport package comes with sport seats - does the M package?

The difference in price between the two packages is actually $1700 - that's a lot!

Joeb427 guest

You're going to get RFT on any 3 Series except the M.
    The sport option will include summer tires which aren't are not suitable for temps under 40 degrees or so.
    Just sell the RFTs on a BMW forum like I did and get conventional A/S tires and a BMW spare kit or the Continental Conti Comfort kit.

BTW,those 193M wheels are quite expensive if you don't get the package.
    About $408 ea.discounted without shipping costs.List $510 ea.

fshubert

I think you'll be very happy with the Sport Package (non M). Go that route then decide if you want the M. I had both cars side-by-side and could just not see spending the extra $1100. (One-third if that is just for the rear parking assist!) I recall that the M package had sport seats. My standard sport package has them and they are comfy (thigh supports, lumber support, back width adjustment). It's a nice ride.

az3579

Not sure - I fired up the BMW configurator at the time of posting and it landed on sedan (like it always does when I build my dream 335i...). To check on this, I just fired it up again except on coupe and noticed none of them say sport suspension. My best guess is that they figure if you want a coupe then you'll want a sport suspension, so they probably include it as a base option. Either that, or the "stock" suspension for the coupe is good enough to not need a "sport" suspension (or so they might think).

Either way, the M Sport and Sport Package options come with the same sport seats.

Personally, I'd pay for the M Sport package just to have my car be different than the other 95% of E9x 3-series Bimmers. In the end, knowing myself, I'd end up buying M Sport bumpers for it and having them painted and mounted anyway, so when you look at it like that, the extra cost is a bargain. People like some of you guys who "can't justify the cost" are the ones who make M Sport-package equipped cars more unique/rare and worth more, so I THANK YOU! :D

Joeb427 guest

Mass confusion!!!LOL!
    I've read on a couple of 3 Series forums that the sport suspension is standard on the coupe as well as the ZSP steering wheel.

The OP should get the M Sport option even more if he plans to spend $1600+ for a set of 193 wheels.
    Although he could sell the 189s for about half the cost of the 193s.

az3579

Those Style 193 wheels are SOOOOOOOOOO nice!

And it appears you get more bang-for-your-buck standard on the coupe than you do on the sedan (sport suspension, steering wheel, standard wheels are better). It's such a bummer that they feel the sedan shouldn't get these things standard (that stock steering wheel on the 335i sedan is hideous). I'm just glad they offer the 193 wheels... :D

Joeb427 guest

True but the coupe is a couple of grand more too.