Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Seat Swap-different wiring/seat style

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 190796, Sep 2, 2009.

I have a driver's seat with burned out motors and I bought a seat off of EBay which has more controls than the old one. The original seat had the multi-directional control for height, fore/aft, hearest height and tilt. The new one has those 2 controls plus a lumbar control and a round 4 way control I am unfamiliar with. What will I need to do to swap the new seat for the simpler original?

CRKrieger

If the controls are ON the seat, look at the connectors and see if they are the same. Could be, if you plug it in, it might just work.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

+1. I think the lumbar control can be retrofit anyway, so it ought to work.

Autohaus guest

The new seats should work as stated above. I swapped out standard seats from my E39 to sport seats from a 00 540i.

az3579

I believe the control module for the seat functions is in a box that's attached to the seat, so whatever seat you put in should work. This is how I remember it when I helped Chris do his swap.

ViolinARC guest

Agreed...they are usually prewired for the extra features from my understanding.