Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire Protection Plan? To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by rmwegmann, Sep 1, 2009.

?

Did you buy the Tire Protection Plan?

Yes 17 vote(s) 51.5%
No 16 vote(s) 48.5%

rmwegmann

Just leased (i.e. three year lease) a new 128i convertible a few weeks ago. This is my first BMW. During the finance process, the fellow asked if I wanted to buy the Tire Protection Plan. Asked him how much and he said "twelve ninety eight" and I said hmmm $12.98 a month and he said . . nope $1,298 up front. After I recaptured my breath, I said no thanks. He took my negative answer personally, geez wonder why, :) so I asked how many people actually buy the plan . .he said just about everybody.

So, my question to this unbiased group of fellow BMW owners. . . .is the protection plan worth the price? If so, why . . . if not, why not? Like to get responses on both sides of the question . . .

Appreciate everyone's comments in advance and hope this thread will be helpful for everyone. :D

CSBM5

It's insurance, and the reason he took it personally is that it is a big commission item for him (hence the reason he said "everybody" when you asked him, lol).

For stuff like this, I always self-insure, and over the years have always come out way ahead (35 years of driving).

az3579

It's basically insurance for the tires. Run-flats are eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexpeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvveee. Yes, very expensive.
    After one or two incidents where multiple tires are involved, it will pay for itself.

But, I guess that mostly depends on whether or not the roads you drive on risk your tires getting punctured or damaged due to potholes. Only you can make the decision whether it's worth it for you.

kkratoch

Here is an idea. You do not have to like it, but I will just throw it out there....

On a lease you need to bring it back with newer (enough tread) run-flats on it or have to pay for new ones.

So..... Forgo the insurance, take off the run flats A.S.A.P. and put on something else (real tires). Then you can enjoy the better ride, handling and tread wear and not worry about spending and arm and a leg on run-flats. When it is time to turn in the lease put the original tires back on.
    ramitchell likes this.

CSBM5

I wouldn't discount runflat "handling" until you've really experienced them at an autocross or on track. PS2 ZP tires on the E90 are pretty awesome. Since they have stiffer sidewalls than non-runflats, the transient response is fantastic, and you have a better feel (for a street tire) for what's up with the contact patch as the connection between wheel and contact patch is much more direct. As far as absolute stick is concerned, the highest end RF (PS2 ZP, RE050A) is the match if not better than their non-runflat counterparts (and the PS2 is a decent street tire).

Speaking of which the ride quality of the PS2 ZP is definitely better than the stones not to mention they are a good bit cheaper than the RE050A. (all comments in reference to 18" ultra high performance tires, 225/40, 255/35).

rmwegmann

Good idea!

You're right . .this is a 45,000 mile lease and tires would have to be purchased before turning in car AND they would have to be run flats to keep with manufacturer's specs. So, you're idea is intriguing, but does beg a couple of questions, if regular (i.e. non-run flats) tires are purchased to replace the current run flats, then a "spare" would have to be purchased also, most likely a "small" spare since it would have to be carried in the trunk. Of course, that would take up quite a bit of trunk space in this convertible . . . Is that what you are thinking? or just chance it without a spare? Just curious . . .thanks to you and other's for your posts. . . .

kkratoch

I will concede that point - I had already removed my run-flats by the time I took the car to the track. They only lasted 8,000 miles before needing replaced.

I must have glazed over the convertible in the original post. :)

I can tell you I do not carry a spare in my sedan. Just a Slime Smart Spare and Deluxe Tire Plug Kit which I bought from the local AutoZone for about $30 or $40 (for both).

I know they do have compact spare kits available.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/merch..._Code=SpaceSaverSpare&Category_Code=E90Safety

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp - search for part E90 SPARE KIT

One thing I forgot to mention - I am an AAA Plus member also.

eam3

Before leasing our '08 535i I had read that the insurance was worth it. Well, it more than paid for itself when two of the godwaful run flats on the car had to be replaced (one failed so miserably that I had to use the - wait for it - spare tire that thankfully the 5 series still carry). Regretfully the dealer would only replace them with the same garbage run flats but cost me nothing to replace. I would not hesitate in getting this for my next car, especially since BMW believes that uber-expensive runflats are the answer to everything (they're not).

sunnyandrich

We paid $500 for a 4-year tire warranty on our new 2007 X3. So far we've had two new tires put on for free. So in this case I would have said it was worth it.

Not sure our results are typical, but thought I would add to the thread.

EDIT - Oh, I should add I did not buy the tire warranty for my new 2003 E46, and I've had to replace one tire (a Michelin PS2 at $275 from tirerack.com, ouch) on my nickel over the six or so years I've had the car.

Dmarque

Great respone...! As for the spare....I'm risking saying this but ...."I've NEVER had a flat on a Bimmer in 30 years of driving them". Now a big part of that is that I like fresh rubber so I don't let my tires get bald before I replace them. I NEVER drive on gravel and I scan the road for potholes while driving. OH ya, I live in Michigan where the roads are horrible!! While I do purchase my cars rather than lease your suggestion to park the run flats and run what you prefer is a good idea.....especially if your tend to buy the same model car each time. I have only owned 5 Series cars myself. The spare shouldn't really be an issue anyway. If you need your spare it is only necessary for a short time to get to your service dept. to replace the tire. So really no big issue on using the run flat spare for a bit. The dealer is going to accept the spare as passable if it has 50 miles on it.

sunnyandrich

Oh, and while we are on the subject, don't forget to check the air in your spare tire!!

I was at the service station doing my monthly check (discovered front's about 6 psi low, yikes) and I realized as I was about to leave that I did not check the spare tire in the trunk.

Good thing I did as it was down from the required 60 psi to about 30. Fat lot of good that would have done me if I had needed it.

Dmarque

60 psi ???????????

Really 60 psi is the recommended level? I run a 540 M-Sport with 265 36 18s at 35 front and 37 rears. 60 has to feel like steel roller skates on concrete. You don't really run at 60 psi do you?

dmarque

kkratoch

High pressures are normal for the little donut spares. Is that what it is?

eam3

Me either, I have been extra careful with the car after learning the hard way many years ago how delicate low profile tires are. Yet one of the runflats on my 535i suddenly shredded part of its sidewall while driving on a straight, well paved road at 40mph. There's not enough runflat technology in the world to keep that tire working properly. Thankfully BMW still had a little bit of common sense when they designed the E60 and made room in the trunk for a spare. This happened on a Sunday night on the way to a Christmas party away from anything resembling civilization. If I didn't have a spare, as BMW assures us that spares are some relic from the past, what would have happened?

io619 guest

Put it this way, they don't offer it because they are being nice, they offer it because they know that statistically, they are going to make money on it. More often then not, the expense is not realized.

I ran a tire shop for 3.5 years, and will tell you that at that kind of price, just budget a replacement set +1 into your car maintenance costs and call it a day. We sold the Road Hazard warranty, and I crunched the numbers on it: profit every quarter.

My 2 cents. Good luck! :)

fshubert

I just leased (3-year also) a 2009 E90 335i. With the Sport Package, the insurance made sense to me especially given it covers the wheels and tires. My dealer charged me $795 for the term of the lease (prior purchases, friends, recommendations, etc helped with the price). The roads here in the NY/NJ area absolutely suck. One pothole on those low-profile 255's and the insurance pays for itself. My 2-cents.

jjwalker guest

I purchased the tire insurance for 999 in NJ, but it also included the wheels, windshield, and dents. My previous car I had to replace 2 tires from hitting potholes with a month.

mtrois

Also in NJ... and felt that with my 19" it was better to have the piece of mind to get the insurance. So far so good, but it only takes one...

JeffNNJ guest

Such an easy question for me to answer. I had a 2 year lease on my '06 550i and blew 9 tires and 3 rims. The tire warranty was the best investment I could have made so naturally I bought it again on my '08 550i. Well, 4 tires and a rim later I am again here to recommend it.

Dmarque

I guess I've found it easier to drive around pot holes instead of through them. I've been driving BMWs since 1980......never had a flat. So, I think that's saying a lot too since I live in the "Pot Hole Capital of America".....Michigan! You gotta watch for what lies ahead Pards!~