Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil change using VacExtractor...

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by ViolinARC, Aug 26, 2009.

ViolinARC guest

A highly recommended experience. I did it for the first time last night and it was literally a piece-o-cake! If you've been taking your precious ride to the shop to do this, DON'T! Get an extractor, save some money and enjoy the feeling that is DIY...:D

My next project will be changing out the "lifetime" trans fluid cause the extractor can be reversed so that it will also help me to pump fluid in as well...WOOHOO!

Here is a link to a detailed oil change using a vac for reference: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161468

sunnyandrich

Very cool. I've had my Mityvac for five years not and would not change oil any other way.

BMWtoyz guest

I would not trust the vac to get it all, plus does all the small metal filings and orther crude get sucked up, you can't be sure. I warm my car up and drain the warm oil via the drain plug in the oil pan. Never had an issue or problem. Changing the oil and filter on a Bimmer is a breeze. However if it works for you carry on!

ViolinARC guest

Actually, neither method will get all the crud out. The only way to get the stuff that settles on the bottom of the pan out is to actually drop the oil pan, clean the magnets (yup, they use magnets to capture those nasty metal filings) and wipe the pan clean. IMO, the vac method is superior (less than a breeze...LOL) because you only have to pop the hood, remove the dipstick and change the filter (oh yeah, don't forget to put oil back in...heh heh). Not once did I have to get on my back and crawl under the car (a big bonus in earthquake country). ;)

BTW, you can believe that the vac method does suck up a lot of the crud cause I used it to clear flaking rust out of my motorcycle's gas tank and it removed 99.999%. Of course, I was able to flush repeatedly but the vac just pulled all that debris right up with the gas. I should've taken a picture of the debris settled in the bottom of the container, it was amazing! :eek:

Anyway, to each his own. I was just sharing my experience...

sunnyandrich

I conducted a test over the last two OCIs.

In December 08 I changed the oil via the Mityvac. I drove the car into the garage after a long run, and let it cool for 45 minutes. I jacked it up on the jacking points, ensuring the car was level.

I proceeded to evacuate the oil via my usual Mitivac method out of the dipstick. It took about the usual 30 minutes or so, with occasional pumping, to get the oil up and out of the crankcase via the dipstick. I then wriggled under the car and removed the 17mm bolt at the bottom of the crankcase.

You know how much oil came out?

None. Not a drip. Nada. Zilch.

On the next OCI, in April 09, I used the traditional drain method.

Ambient temperature 78F, car was put on jackstands and level. Oil was drained via the sump, and left to drip for over 1 hour with the dipstick out and the cap and oil filter out.

Guess what?

After the oil had drained, and there was no more dripping, I inserted the mityvac into the dipstick tube as usual.

And... (drum roll please...) I proceeded to suck out approximately 10 ounces of oil out. (See picture).

So, based on this exerience I will continue to use the MityVac as for me, it conclusively gets more oil out of the sump than draining.

YMMV.

BMWtoyz guest

I believe I did say, "However if it works for you carry on!"

ViolinARC guest

Nice addition llando88....

BMWtoyz....I believe we are trying to point out the fact that a newer technology has emerged for extracting dirty oil and fluids because you basically made a statement that you will stick with the "old tried and tested" method since in "gets all the crude" out of there...

We just want other's who DIY to know that there are other ways of doing things that can be faster and more efficient so everyone can benefit from our experience but as you basically stated, to each his own.

Personally, I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison when I do my first trans fluid change. I'm willing to bet that I can change the trans fluid twice with the vac method before you do it once the old fashioned way...without dropping the pan of course. Even if we both did a filter kit, I'm still sure I'd be finished way before the old fashioned method. Vac Extractor/Mitivac FTW! ;)

sunnyandrich

Absolutely, totally get that. I can understand the perspective, having done it for years by putting the car on ramps and getting underneath etc.

To be honest, any OCI method which involves 5-7.5K intervals with a quality synthetic is going to keep an engine going long and strong.

Freude am Fahren. :)

BIMMIR guest

E 90 = no dipstick !

ViolinARC guest

I guess they use that amazing, incredible, "LIFETIME" oil like they put in my transmission :eek:...LMAO! Either that or they really don't want us to have the ability to change our own oil with such ease, which will "encourage" us to take it to the stealership...

BMWtoyz guest

Considering all the positive post here regarding the extraction method I will give it a try and see how I like it.
    Regarding no dipstick, it will become normal on all cars in the future. California already prohibits them on new cars because of the "emissions" that escape through that little hole!

sunnyandrich

I guess I don't get why a tube with a rubber O-ring seal on it will emit more gaseous vapor than an oil filler cap vented to atmosphere. *shrug*

BMWtoyz guest

You will have to ask California and the 'Green" lobby that question. I am sure if they get their way we will all be riding mass transit real soon!

oekundar

Great post...I was just convinced to purchase one of these for my garage, I see this not only making oil changes quicker, but also cleaner. :)

ViolinARC guest

I'm with you on this one...obviously stupidity rules when one gets involved with politics!
    These same idiots are trying to take guns out of the hands of our challenged and stressed police department...more stupidity since then, only the criminals will have the guns (I was recently held at gunpoint on my front porch while a "gang" robbed my home and am discovering how difficult it is for a LAW ABIDING citizen to get a gun for defense)! :mad:
    Glad you found this post motivating enough to give it a try, you'll be happy you did! ;)

BMWtoyz guest

Sorry to hear about that, I am a retired police officer and investigated many crimes involving guns, unfortunatley our "law makers" have no idea that criminals do not get their guns legally, go figure! All they do is hamper law abiding citizens. I own numerous guns and always will.