Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

D'OH Moment...

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by drummerfc, Aug 24, 2009.

drummerfc

Well, here's one that's sure to get a snicker at my expense, deservedly so :mad: ...

Pouring, rainy Friday afternoon...I'm driving along with the wipers going and I get the typical "foreign object" between the wiper and the windshield. Lazy bum that I am, instead of stopping the car to get out and remove the object, I put the window down while driving, reach my hand around to pull the wiper up and let it go quickly - again, while driving - and *SNAP*...the sucker breaks off in my hand. So now I'm in the middle of my journey with no drivers-side wiper...in the middle of a cats and dogs rainstorm...

D'OH!!! Thank God for Rainex!!

Sooooooo...$150 and 5 minutes of labor later, I have a new drivers-side wiper arm.

Not to mention the embarassment...like I said - D'OH! :eek:

ViolinARC guest

I'll be sure not to do that...

WOW...I knew those suckers were expensive! Here's an interesting fact to make you feel better about the $150 outlay. The wipers on our cars are designed to operate efficiently at speeds over 128mph! :eek:

It's the reason I've kept the OEM arms vs. changing out for aftermarket and changed just the wiper blades...;)

drummerfc

Yeah, it's weird...for some strange reason, except for the "user error" on my part, this whole situation wasn't that upsetting and I can laugh about it. I have a feeling about this car almost like I do my home...pride of ownership - and a recognition that things will break and even though it costs a good bit of $$$ for the upkeep, in the long run it's worth it.

Nice lookin' family by the way! :D

ViolinARC guest

Thanks...

LOL...believe me, I've had my fair share of "user error" as well so don't sweat it. I have the same feeling about my 540i and that is what separates us from the "regular" car market IMO. I find that I'll take the time to wipe the dust off her even if I know I'm taking her out for a spin cause I want my ride to sparkle where ever I go. Case in point, I was camping (yup, I took the 5er) and sitting on the other side of the 540 when I hear this voice say, "That's one clean 5er!" I look up and this guy and his wife were walking by and he gave me a huge smile and thumbs up as he repeated the compliment. We, as BMW enthusiasts, tend to go that extra mile since we have such pride of ownership IMO...

Thanks for the compliment on my family. How about posting a pic on my "Ugly Mugs" thread? :D Peace...

drummerfc

:D Wow...we must be separated at birth...I do the same thing, drives the wife crazy...or it used to...after all these years she knows me pretty well by now LOL!

Soon as I find one suitable for publishing, I will...

Peace back atcha :cool: !!

Dmarque

My favorite thing to do......drive 128 mph in a downpour.

Anyone got the tires for that manuever?

m

az3579

Well, driving 128mph in a downpour is just stupid, but at that speed, even drizzle can get annoying. Drizzle isn't as bad as a downpour... ;)

ViolinARC guest

Uh....ever thought of using them to clean the bugs off while loafing along at 140? LOL :rolleyes:

I'm sure I've seen races in the rain with speeds that topped 150+mph and I'll bet there are those who drive the Autobahn at insane speeds even though it's raining (just browse YouTube...LOL)! :p

The point is, these are very efficient wiper arms, which is why they cost so much mooola! ;)

az3579

I don't know about you, but when I try to clean bugs off my windshield, regardless of speed, it just makes it worse! Can you say: smear, smear, SMEAR? lol

drummerfc

Oh, I *HATE* that!!!

Got the car washed yesterday and on my way home, not 10 minutes following the wash, some stupid bug had the audacity to go <SPLAT> on my windshield (only at 75 mph mind you but I digress)...and those expensive, efficient wipers produced a yellow SMEAR...GRRR... :mad:

God, what whiners we are... :cool: Just gotta be happy to be driving my E39!