Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1993 E36 Front End Roaring Noise

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 2johnnyowens, Aug 17, 2009.

2johnnyowens guest

I have a 1993 BMW 318ISA with 157,000 miles. The brake rotors and pads are new on my car but I am hearing a roaring noise while I drive the car. It gets louder and worse the faster I go. It is also still present when I apply the brakes. I do have snow tires on the car and use the car for the winter here in Ohio.

I feel like the car sounds like an small airplane with the noise it makes. The exhaust is original but seems in ok condition.

Not sure if this could be the front bearings or maybe something with the transmission.

Any guesses or anyone have this kind of problem?

Thanks.

az3579

Snow tires I believe are louder than standard tires. They're not meant to be driven on dry roads, and wear faster on said roads. Since you are using them on dry roads, they are most likely wearing a lot faster, and worn tires tend to make lots of road noise.

Check the wear level of your tires. If you can, see if you can swap in a set of non-winter tires and see if that solves your problem. Do you have another set of wheels with standard tires on them?

169615 guest

I would suspect the winter tires as well, although it may be that you are mising the plastic underpinning shields and pork chops that divert air from the front spoiler past the radiator and the base of the engine. You would be surprised what a difference having these correctly installed will make for your vehicle.

2johnnyowens guest

I did check the snow tires. Seems the tread is still good. I have about about 10,000 miles on them. I don't normal drive the car in the summer, just like to start it and drive around to keep things moving. It only sounds bad in the front of the car.....maybe a grinding/roaring sound. The rotors look ok and no rust build-up on them.

I will try and put some regular tires on the car and see if the noise is still there. Thanks for the reply.

bimmertech guest

Put the car on a jack and spin the front wheel(s). A bad bearing will still be audible 75% of the time. If no noise can be heard it is most likely a tire issue.

ACM1899 guest

I have the same loud roaring sound only when im braking, and the car is almost at a complete stop. Not from tires and i got the brakes checked and they were fine then. So if you ever find out id love to know myself.

GL

2johnnyowens guest

Hello. I was told I need new bearings. Only the passenger was bad but I will replace both. Hope that help you. I have 157,000 miles on my car.

M3Driver guest

Yeah, wheel bearing was my thought as well. Had to have one replaced on my left front recently. When I would turn (or bear) left, the noise would go away.