Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tips for Having Wheels Reconditioned

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Dmarque, Aug 15, 2009.

Dmarque

I want to get a set of Style 37 Wheels reconditioned to like new condition. There are some deep scratches in the rims and I want to be sure to have them done correctly....to perfection. If anyone has had this done before I would like some advice in hiring this done by the proper people:

1.) How to determine if the place I am hiring is suitable.
    2.) What specifically to ask for as for finish coating.
    3.) What should I expect to pay.
    4.) My dealer said they would charge $125/wheel. Does this sound like a price representative for a wheel done to "Like new" condition?

Thank you....

Dmarque

az3579

I also wanted to present the option of doing it yourself:
    http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheel-repair/wheel-scuff-repair.htm

Sounds pretty easy, but if you don't want to risk it, I understand.

I've been hearing prices from $80/wheel, but I do not know where or when I heard that.
    I'm curious about this too because I want to recondition my wheels as well, and they're beyond the scope of what I'm capable of.

John in VA

You don't say what size the wheels are - they came on E31/34/38/39 cars in different sizes (widths) & offsets. Are they painted or painted with polished lips? Silver or Hyperchrome?

http://www.wheelcollision.com shows them $350 to $425 each refinished with polished lips when you send them your wheels.

I can almost guarantee your dealer does not perform the refinishing, but sends them out. $125 each for stripping, truing, painting and polishing an 18" wheel with a big wide lip is a good price.

You determine if the place I am hiring is suitable by requesting to see their work, or checking with other members in your chapter to find their suggestions or experiences.

Mineralfarmer

Wheel refinishing

Motomotion in Medina, Ohio, is a very reputable shop. They do a lot of work for car dealers. See their web site www.Motomotion.com. They send them out to a big plant in the midwest for straightening and refinishing. The price you were quoted is excellent.

granthr

I would also recommend Wheel Collision in Bath PA, http://www.wheelcollision.com . They are a long time advertiser in Roundel and do great work. I used them recently to true and refinish four oem wheels for my 325ix. Not cheap, but worth the price.

Dmarque

Motomotion versus Keystone

I appreciate the Motomotion recommendation. Might be a cost saver for me. I have been told that the best available for sophisitated renovation is Keystone. The complete range of services they provide is to refurbish to BETTER THAN new. Not sure that I need much more than what you've suggested at Motomotion and have contacted them to send me a quote. Keystone is rumored to be $250 per wheel for my staggered 18-9 rears and 18-.8 fronts "raised surface polished forged wheels. I know that I'll get blasted for considering Keystone at that $250 price but I do want these wheels to come out great.....interested to find out from Motomotion what they quote and hear what my expectations should be.

Here is a link to Keystone. There is a nice video provided here on the full treatment service they provide there. I think most will find it interesting information.

Also considering spending the money for the M5 wheels rather than recondition these.....

Dmarque

Keystone or Motomotion Assitance