Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Shop damage

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jonathonlorek, Aug 15, 2009.

jonathonlorek guest

I had new tires installed last week and the shop damaged one of my rims. They have agreed to replace the rim. First the tried to locate a refinished version and couldn't find one, now they want to repair my rim.

Of course I want them to replace it.

Does anyone know what the law says the shop has to do? I do not like the idea that they can dictate how they will fix the situation.

Anyone familiar with these situations?

By the way they left a 4" x 1/4" gauge across the rim.

1996 328ti guest

Have you ever seen a repaired wheel?
    A reputable shop can repair it as good or better than new.

Personally, I'd let them repair it before requesting a new wheel.
    Some shops would have denied damaging it in the first place.

az3579

There is no such thing as a repaired wheel being better than new. New is as good as it gets. :p

bcweir

did you mean gauge or GOUGE?

A gauge is an instrument or measuring device. A "gauge" on a wheel would probably be very useful, though its location will not be aesthetically pleasing.

However a gouge is neither useful nor aesthetically pleasing.

In most places, a shop would be required to make you "whole" as closely as possible, usually in one of three ways: compensating you for the repair or replacement of the damaged wheel, repair of the wheel (which I understand they are doing), or replacement.

Since a gouge is typically just cosmetic damage, it's not likely going to have much effect on the performance of the wheel, so by repairing the cosmetic damage, the shop is fulfilling its obligation to you.

jonathonlorek guest

spelling

I appreciate you locating my english error. Thanks for pointing it out and thanks for the insight.

bcweir

No problem. Thanks for the humor opportunity

More importantly, I'm glad to hear that the shop is doing the honest thing and trying to rectify the situation. Hopefully you didn't overreact and try to make this more than what it was. Our BMW's are already in danger of getting "keyed" due to the "rich snob/a*hole reputation" the majority of BMW owners are trying to overcome.

Kudos to the shop for at least coming clean about it and doing the right thing to fix the problem.

Being open to solutions and not losing your cool does you credit and the rest of us BMW owners also. It's good for them because it protects their business reputation, but it's good for you too because you might someday need their services again. I think they will be much more willing to be of aid to you in the future knowing you didn't mistreat them in the course of correcting this.

1996 328ti guest

I beg to differ.
    We are all entitled to our opinions.