Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Diy......................

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by ACM1899, Aug 12, 2009.

ACM1899 guest

Any DIY'ers in OC, CA want to help out a club member?

I have never done any DIY, i have taken 1 year of autoshop back in the HS days but thats about it. I work 70 hour weeks so i dont have time to have my own set up in a garage but i was wondering rather than pay a mechanic 85+ hr labor i would rather pay a local member that can do it and i can learn from him/her the ropes?

The DIY things i mean is Oil Change, brakes, belts, etc. If its not my cup of tea then i can decide without investing in equipment.

Thanks in Advance..

CRKrieger

You posted in the E36 subforum, which doesn't even cover your car.

I will suggest a couple of things:

Check the website of your local chapter and make some contacts there.

Post this message in the proper 3 Series forum or in the DIY forum.

Plan to invest in the 'equipment' you need for these jobs, anyway. All any of them involve is a good set of metric wrenches and a couple of screwdrivers. An oil change is a near no-brainer. I can do one on my 535 with a 17mm wrench (OK; and a jack to get it high enough for my fat *** to fit under.). That includes changing out a cartridge oil filter.

Changing brakes takes little more and not much in terms of skill. Yes; having another experienced 'wrench' there for the first time is confidence-bolstering but, in retrospect, mostly a waste of good beer you could have had all to yourself. ;)

As for belts on your car, I haven't a clue ... but someone will. Good luck!

ACM1899 guest

I have a e36 325is too. It has 180k + miles and the other is still under warranty.

CRKrieger

In that case, skip that other 3 Series forum. You're here. Do the other stuff, though. You will have no trouble learning to do regular maintenance & repairs on your E36.

One more thing: I believe there is a Bentley manual for your car. Buy it first.