Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335xd?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ldamario, Jul 29, 2009.

ldamario

Does anyone know whether BMW will offer a 335xd for sale in the US (and when)? My current BMW is a 335i (great car), and I in the Los Angeles area, but I will be moving back to New England in a year or two. I would like a BMW that handles decently in the snow. After driving the 335i, I don't think I would be satisfied with a 328xi.

ldamario

I should have added that I am concerned about poor gas mileage with the 335xi.

pseto

IMO having a set of really good snow tires is better than 4wd

listerone guest

First of all,what part of New England are you taking about? If it's VT,NH,ME or Western MA then one can argue that AWD is a real plus.But anywhere else I'm not convinced that it's necessary.But that's just me,perhaps.I just bought my 335d so I haven't had it yet during a winter.But the only AWD vehicle I've ever owned (Infiniti M35x) was an absolute pig with gasoline.Outstanding in every other way but *bad* with gas.

<P>YMMV...literally and figuratively.

BIMMIR guest

my e 90 328xi with a stick averages 26-27 MPG and is excellent in Maine winters.

ldamario

I will be moving to RI. It may not get as much snow as the areas you mentioned, but from having grown up there, I know winter driving can be a mess. Opinions seem divided on the benefits of AWD vs. good snow tires. But having both must provide the best chance for not getting stuck in the winter.

granthr

I know it is not the same, but you could buy a Diesel X5! :D Diesel FTW!!!!

ldamario

I would not be caught dead in a SUV, even one built by BMW. I have an intense dislike for SUVs and everything they represent.

granthr

I agree, but is still a Diesel.

Well you just might have to build your own. Take one E30 325ix and import one Diesel 123d motor. Add mounds of cash and shake for 4+ weeks and vola! One awesome snow machine. The 323xd. :D

BIMMIR guest

As Grant says, the car you want does not currently exist, at least by the Roundel brand in the US.
    Another option to consider might be a 335i with a winter wheel & tire combo so you can swap them over in the fall and spring. Depending on where in NE you will live, you could even do studded all around. Yes, noisy on dry pavement. At least in Maine, if you do studs it's all 4 wheels. I run studded on my daughters cars in the winter and they are incredible.

ldamario

It looks like the choice will come down to a 328xi or a 335i with a good winter wheel/tire package. Fortunately, I don't have to decide until my current lease is up next March.

386530 guest

335d delivery soon

I am picking up a 335d next Wednesday at WELT. The fuel mileage is reportedly superior to all of BMWs larger engines. I'll know more in a couple of weeks. I was trying to find out about the xDrive also with diesel - and came up empty.

And I will soon learn about the traction issues with RWD and massive torque. I'll pass what I find out later.

There might be a connection between the RFT and AWD. There is no spare - and as of yet, I have not researched if non-RFT are even available for the 335d.

I am certain that someone will jump on that one, if it is possible.

Good luck in your quest.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

335xd: It ain't gonna happen

Since BMW is at around a 1% take rate on the 335d---I believe they were hoping for at least 10%---I don't think you're going to see another diesel 3 Series any time soon. They're getting around 10 or 12% on the X535d, but that may be because after the rebates it's cheaper than the base X5.

But in a bid for greater overall economy, they may start sending over their smaller diesels. Alas, we probably won't see those in AWD.

I know you hate SUVs, but I think the X1 will be way bitchin'. But we won't see it before 2011.

cberry

Why don't you just get a 335d?.....Then, start rolling in 2nd, manually selected. Better yet, 3rd. But, I've never tried 3rd and don't know that it won't shift down to 2nd. 2nd is incredible at a light on dry pavement.

ldamario

My conclusion from what others have said is to get a 335i or a 335d and put on a good set of snow tires in the winter. The 335d costs thousands more, although the price of ultra-low-sulfur diesel is now less than premium gasoline.

cberry

Torque is "Kick ***"!....But, manageable with traction control. Starts in second are amazing. In first, unbelievable.

I've got 7,500 miles on the bird now, and it runs like a race horse. About 2000 rpm gets you 80 mph, indicated. Staying within the break-in guidelines (for maximum rpms) while on the autobahn I maintained 140 indicated at about 3,200 rpm.

When my OEM tires are history I plan to replace them with Michelin Power Sport tires.

bigriffi

I have had my 335d for about a month, 1300 miles. It is awesome, I traded in a 330xi, so I plan to get winter tires for Chicago. Torque is massive, but 2nd gear and winter tires should be fine. They plow here, and even in bad snow it'd be fine.

I have never owned a diesel, the only down side I have so far is the oily handles at the pump. I am getting gas at various stations for $2.54/gallon and averaging about 35 mpg in mixed driving. For my "long trips" of 2 hours highway, I get about 40.5 mpg, and that includes an occasional stomping of the gas to pass someone.

So far, I love it.
    Gas is actually cheaper than premium, and it's not hard at all to find a gas station with the cheaper prices. gasbuddy.com has some guidance, but event the oasis near Ohare has diesel at $2.60/gallon when unleaded was $2.79 and premium more.

Good luck.

PS, I hope more people wake up to diesel's, they offer massive torque and for "most" of the driving we do in daily drivers, it's just normal tooling around, it sips fuel. I don't track it, and I don't drag at stop lights (but I could if I wanted to ;) )

ldamario

I will be interested to hear how your 335d does in the Chicago winter with snow tires.

bigriffi

I will let you know. Will be putting on a set of Blizzaks.

ldamario

This brings up to a related logistical question. Assume one wants to switch to four snow tires every winter and then back to regular tires every spring. Also, assume one has the snow tires permanently mounted on their own wheels. How does one transport four heavy wheels/tires to and from the tire shop? One at a time in the trunk?

Lou