Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW Approved tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by daniell716, Jul 29, 2009.

daniell716

I replaced the OEM Bridgestone tires on my 2006 X3i with tires that are the same size 235/55 R17, service description (includes speed rating) 99 H, and similar uniform tire quality grade A A 500 versus the Bridgestone Turanza's A A 300. My dealer says I have to replace the tires to a BMW approved tire to have the car become a CPO car. The BMW CPO checklist refers to a Certified Pre Owned Operations manual - Vehicle Inspection Guidelines and Standards. Does anyone know how to see what I expect is an internal document?

The dealer first said I had the wrong speed rating until I showed him that the Bridgestone and Pirelli tires they wanted me to get were also H rated, not Z rated as I think he was assuming. Then he said BMW specifies certain manufacturers. I asked to see that in writing and he said he'd have to find that document. Hmmm

Can BMW restrict tires to certain manufacturers only?

CRKrieger

Sounds like somebody's working some kind of angle to screw you.

bimmertech guest

It is true that CPO cars HAVE to have OE tires to be eligilble. It is not a hard bit of information to obtain. Just call the parts department and ask them which OE tires are available for your X3. However the Pirelli and Bridgestone options you mentioned are the only two I'm aware of if it's a sport package. If not, there is also a Continental offering.

CRKrieger

So it turns out I'm right. It's BMW screwing you. But I still don't understand - unless this is a leased vehicle, which the OP didn't mention. If you own your car, why would you care if BMW certifies it as a CPO vehicle?

EuroWerkz1

Hmmmmmmmmm

One my speculate that this car is a lease or the dealer is expecting this car back and then to become a CPO, thus his half truth's and lies to the customer?

These BMW dealers, do they get it at all?

daniell716

It is a leased car that I was considering buying from the dealer. They'd buy it from BMW and resell to me. To take advantage of the BMW CCA $500 rebate on a used car, it must be a CPO. What the dealer and maybe BMW is telling me is that, to be a CPO car, I have to buy tires from a company that has a marketing agreement with BMW.
    I was just looking for something in writing instead of taking the dealers word that they must be an approved OEM brand. I am seeing the dealer today and expect I'll have something in print or maybe I don't need new tires.
    But I am probably going to just buy it as used and forgo the BMW CCA rebate. Paying $2K now to get $500 as opposed to waiting until next year when the new car warranty expires and maybe get an extended warranty will be a choice I can make next year.

thanks everybody

bimmertech guest

As far as it being in writing: It is on the CPO checklist. Now that I understand the scenario let me offer this suggestion. Is there a CCA member in your area with "new" tires that may let you do a wheel swap for a couple of days, until the inspection is complete? Just a thought.

daniell716

thanks. I made an adjusted deal today to buy the car as a used vehicle and will consider the extended warranty next year. I haven't seen the document, but the dealer has a copy for me that shows the approved manufacturers that I'll get when I stop by.

I had been watching Craigslist for used tires but haven't had any luck.
    No big deal...