Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Satch's flames

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by Satch, Jul 27, 2009.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, the roadster's flames are gone. . . sort of. I had Gilson Body & Paint in Reno take it down to bare aluminum---you knew the hood was aluminum, right?!---and start over. Now it's ghost flames over Motorsport stripes. . . .

I think I'll take the car to Monterey for the Central Cal Chapter's West Coast Concours. Display only: I ain't buyin' no Q-Tips.

Then I guess I'll have to go find another Waffle House.

:D :D :D :D
    • Staff

steven s

That's the best I could do.

Brian A

You removed the perfectly good paint from a perfectly good car???!!!???

... cool.

az3579

Finally, Satch; Sense has come over you.
    If you put flames back on, I'll hunt you down.

DarKWing guest

Agreed, much better without the flames. Those things sure do look good in white, though!

sunnyandrich

+1

+2

Satch, with respect, the flames are a bit, ah, dated. :D

Satch SoSoCalifortified

TIme to figure out how to upload a photo, I guess. . .

Well, SURELY you didn't think I would LEAVE the flames off, now, did you?! :eek:

View attachment 1808

Actually, this image shows the car with "ghost" flames across Motorsport stripes before we took it all back off AGAIN and re-did it. . . .

Now the flames are so subtle you have to squint to see them in the proper light. . . so I may eventually do something completely different. . . or not.

As for the "old-school" nature of flames. . . that's the point. You whippersnappers don't remember when Von Dutch shocked two worlds---the hot-rod crowd and the sports-car weenies---by showing up at the Oakland Roadster Show (I think) with a 300SL Gullwing. . . with flames. But I do!

Purists faint when they see the Lyle Fisk striping on the rear, too. Heh, heh, heh. :D

View attachment 1809

CRKrieger

Screw the purists. Flames were always cool and always will be cool.

M3Driver guest

Von Dutch rocks.....:D

BIMMIR guest

Flames are cool!

You know what else is cool is fire paint jobs. I don't know who he is, I think his name is Mike something. I saw him doing a couple of cars on TV once. It looks like real fire.
    He did it on a black background car and it was awesome.

sunnyandrich

Fair enough, Mr. Satch sir.

But I do want to point out I am eligible for an AARP card this year. :)

az3579

Yes, actually I did. You disappoint me, Satch...

Don't you worry your little flames, a heart attack is ensuing!

corgicoupe guest

AARP card, I remember when the big thing was hand-painted pin striping and scalloping on 1957 Chevys.

BMRDRVR

Flames are OK, but illusory. A badge - Dinan, Alpina, Schnitzer - now those will provoke heat.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Badges? We don't need no. . .

Heh. There is at least one other thread around here that discusses the removal and addition of M badges. . . .:eek:

BMRDRVR

And ///M badges! And the only reason I can think of to remove it would be to clean it really, really good.

Hockeystyx

I Love This!! :d

I absolutely loved the ghost flames- Satch, you rock!! :D

Deutsch Marques

As long as it's not a "Type R" or "NOS" sticker/badge. Regardless of how many horsepowers you get by applying one...

az3579

Dunno, performance > cosmetics in my book, and if stickers that say NOS, VTEC, or TypeR help my car go faster, then I'm inclined to install them...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Badges versus no badges

Yeah, those M badges definitely make 12% more horsepower; I noticed it right away when I pried the damn things off. Let's see, there was one on each front fender and one on the back, so that's 36% horsepower I threw away! No wonder I can't outrun that #$$%@! 335i!

I guess to get in the proper spirit by putting those infernal slash marks before the M: you know, like ///M. I get so much mail with this lunatic affectation that I have had to write a simple macro to purge the document of such nonsense.

Hmmm: ///M