Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New to club, not too BMW's

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by brethan, Jul 24, 2009.

brethan guest

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site, but I've been waiting to join for the last 6 months (I had to wait to return stateside). I was in Germany for the last 3 years and I've gone through my fair share of euro BMW's and had a blast doing so...So I decided to bring one back with me. I found a great E21, '81 316 (euro spec with a 1.8l carburated engine) with low kilometers and to my surprise it is amazing condition for its' year, with little rust, too (considering, all they do in the state of Bayern is throw salt down on the roads, even if it looks as though it might freeze, and it usually doesn't). I love my BMW and currently it's going through some regular maintenance as well as some upgrades. I'm excited to be a member and enjoy the people and especially the advice I can get from you veterans of the club and the car. Here are some pics, enjoy.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Welcome to the club!

How much fun will that be to drive around! You will have many lovers of the marque confused. When you land over here, where are you calling home?

brethan guest

In Southern AZ

I actually just arrived on 7 JUL and I'm in Southern AZ (south of Tucson about 1hr). You're right on the confusion part, most look at me like I'm crazy when I say it's a 316, but has a 1.8 carbed engine. I do love explaining it though, it's a great car and the BMW community is even better, thanks for the reply.

brethan guest

one more thing

Oh, forgot to mention, that I'm jealous of your 635 euro BMW, is it the two-tone, Hennarot and black? My buddy had the same one, but a 76, I think he brought that back from GE, as well (at least I told him he better, he'd be insane not too).

No red on this yet.

Nope, it has a black exterior with a tan/brown/black interior. It is a car we picked up for a couple grand so we can learn how to turn a wrench. Body is in decent shape, but the electonics and mechanical systems needed some love and attention. I did my first ever set of valve adjustments and gasket replacement this morning and the thing purrs. Next we attack the 325ix we bought this past weekend and do the same.

Too bad you're 3000 miles away... I'd love to take a run through the VT mountains following your red racer.

What upgrades are you looking at?

lcjhnsn

Hey, that sounds like Connecticut

brethan guest

Well, the carb needs to be replaced, so I bought one in Germany before I left, but didn't have time for my mechanic to install it. I brought it back with me and took it to a mechanic in Tucson and they determined it was shot (I suspected that only because it was taken off another 316 that had been parted out). So, now I'm looking at a Weber Carb replacement, any thoughts?

Next, the muffler is starting to rust though and show small holes so naturally I wanted to upgrade for a performance exhaust, nothing too throaty, but something that has a nice classic sound and feel. Again, being a GE model, it doesn't have the same system as the E21 320i due to the EPA regs the states enforced, with the cat converter and all. Mine just has a mid-muffler and rear muffler, basically two identical sections. I'm having a couple quotes come for the mechanic on how much a custom muffler would be.

I've also got the Alpina 6x15 wheels, but no tires. I'm doing some research on what size tire, I've found that Alpina use to wrap them in 195/50's, does that seem reasonable? Any suggestions on what brand of tire, I've looked on tirerack.com and so forth, even went to Sears yesterday, found some Bridgestones that would fit, but I'm just not sure yet. I would mount, balance and put the tire on the car myself, so installation is no problem.

That's it for now, any other thoughts, I wasn't sure what to due with the intake filter, if anything, so I left that stock?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Carbs for the 316

If I am not mistaken, somebody makes a dual-Weber sidedraft manifold for that car. With the right cam and properly tuned Weber 45DCOEs, you'll never go back to women.

brethan guest

You are correct

Haha, probably shouldn't tell my wife that, but I get your drift. The Weber will be going in this week, man I can't wait.

lcjhnsn

Such a way with words!

az3579

Do you mind me asking how much it cost overall to import the car, not including purchase price?

brethan guest

Overseas shipping cost

Yeah, I shipped it from Vilseck, Germany (just about 30mins North of Nurenberg, GE). It cost $1600 ($1200 to ship it across the ocean and $400 to truck it from my town in GE to Bremerhaven, GE, that's where the port was that it's put on a boat) to ship it all the way to Houston, TX. I choose Houston, but there are other Ports you can ship, I think some are less expensive than the Port of Houston. I had no issues with customs because it is older than 25 years, so it didn't have to meet EPA and DOT regs.

European lust....

You have your eye on a European beauty Botond? Please do share!

az3579

No, unfortunately. But, you never know...
    Perhaps an E30 touring? :D

brethan guest

That would be a great choice. I owned a '85 325i Touring, Navy Blue, euro specs, it was nice. No issues, ran great, had over 350,000Km's on it. Sold it, not sure why, and bought a '89 520i.