Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New to BMW CCA

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by csxander, Jul 24, 2009.

csxander guest

I'm new to the forum and about to purchase my first BMW. I'm considering the 2003 540i automatic and was wondering if there are any problem areas that I should be aware of or if I should consider the E60 generation? Thanks for your comments.

CRKrieger

The problem you should be aware of is that the E60 is really ... really ... REALLY ... ugly.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Welcome my son.... welcome to the machine.

I have found that the E39 540's tend to eat through wheel sensors, rear tires and the coolant system needs to be replaced every 60,000 miles. I just sold mine after 6 years of ownership, and although it was a great drivers car the upkeep sent me back to a 1989 325ix.

rodrigo568 guest

Also new

I am also new here. I just bought a 525i 2002 5 speed. I live in San Jose, California, and I am very interested in participating in events such as autocross and taking my car to race tracks.

figradio guest

I love my 2002 540i. The classic look, a great drive, and only minor issues since i bought it new. Now with 74k miles the pixels are going on the information bar and as long as you don't mind nearly useless cup holders this is a wonderful car. Please let us know what you ultimately purchased.

az3579

There is one problem with that: It is automatic.

csxander guest

got a 540i

Well I flew out to LA last Friday and bought a 2003 540i 6 speed with the Msport package. Having it shipped to VA. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for your responses.

drummerfc

Excellent choice! :D Pass along pics of your ride if you got em...did you get one with a sport pckg.?

Good luck with 'er! You'll love the solid ride, the handling, and it's got a bit of punch - not the fastest ride on the road but it'll definitely move you! :cool:

csxander guest

I attached a picture that was posted on the sellers webite. It's a 6 speed with sport paclkage. Hope to get later this week.

ViolinARC guest

Welcome and congrats...

Congrats and welcome to the club/forum! I'm a bit confused as there seems to be a mixing of posts here. Did the OP ultimately get the 2003 540i6?

Anyway, these are great cars and I only have the standard complaints i.e. cooling system, thrust arm bushings, minor electrical issues, CANholders, etc. Mostly small stuff (not the cooling system though) but if you can get over these typical issues (at least we all know what they are), you're gonna LOVE your car!

Peace...

az3579

Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!
    Should've just driven it though; it's a lot more fun. :D

ViolinARC guest

And a great way to know how well the car holds up under extended performance conditions...:cool:

drummerfc

NIIIIICE! Especially love those wheels... :D:D:D