Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 Clean or Replace Oil Sensor

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by mrocca, Jul 23, 2009.

mrocca

The Oil Leveling Sensor (low oil level sensor) has been occasionally lighting up the amber warning light - oil level OK. Would removing and cleaning the sensor during my next self oil change be of any value. Such procedure does not appear to require any significant effort or expense.

bimmertech guest

You could try, but it would most likely be an effort in futility. In the simplest explanation, the oil condition monitor works by heating a column of oil and measuring resistance across it. Once the electronics are bad replacement is the only option. Best bet is go ahead and replace it.

mrocca

thanks
    Do you know if the sensor does anything else other than provide the caution light? i.e. oil temp to computer for fuel mixture; etc.

EuroWerkz1

A very common problem and replacement is the fix.

You might consider buying your replacement parts from a source that is a club supporter.

Just a thought, Enjoy

bimmertech guest

In your case, not really. On later cars the oil level/condition sensor is on a bus with the alternator and elec. water pump. A shorted sensor on these cars will usually only set a light, but other faults may appear.

BMWides110377 guest

I have been having this problem as well. How complicated is the replacement?

aaronb9

I replaced this sensor recently, from what I understand it's more involved on cars with the stamped alloy reinforcement plate which you have to remove to get access to the sensor. The bolts that hold this plate on have to be incredibly tight on reinstallation, and some are at odd angles making it difficult to get at if you've got the car on jackstands.

Replacing the actual sensor is very easy, and accessing it might be much better on cars with the cruciform brace instead of the stamped version.