Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bluetooth: Phones/Services/Car Compatibility.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by jesimmons, Feb 23, 2008.

ed2008 guest

Motorola V3XX

The V3XX is on the list of phones I can get through work. What is the difference between the V3, V3i, and V3XX? Thanks for any help.

AshleighBMW guest

Hello, I have a motorola razr phone, service through AT&T. I don't think it matters what cell service you have or what phone as long as the phone is compatible with your I-Drive. Mine works fine, except sometimes it can't understand me and asks if I want to check tire pressure and fluids when I ask it to call someone. <GRRR>
    Congratulations on your 5 series
    !

ed2008 guest

3 series, not a 5 (yet)

Ashleigh,

Thanks for the response. What model RAZR? Isn't there more than one?

ed2008

AshleighBMW guest

Yes there is more that one, but they ALL work /are compatible with BMW I drive.Honestly I don't pay much attn to those things.I am , hate to say this, very high mainteneance, WHICH I DO MOST OF, but i'd have to look it up. It's the Razor gold. They all work fine. Chill.

ExGMan

Discounted 'Phones

Well, earlier you said: "My IT guy just gave me a list of the phones that I can buy through work (huge discount) and be on the work plan (free)."

I guess you should just go to your IT guy, and ask him for the list. The AT&T Iphone will work well, I think. If you get a Blackberry, at least with the now-older 8700c model, you'll have a device which is completely compatible with the BMW Bluetooth system.

ed2008 guest

Discounted phones

I have that list from IT. It's just that none of the model numbers are exactly like the compatibility list, except the iphone and blackberry 8700c. I was hoping to get a less expensive phone, and one that is not so bulky (I like to carry it in pants pocket). The motorola V3 meets the criteria, if it's compatible. One list says V3, IT list says V3XX. I thought Mr. Spira list said V3 was limited compatibility, but on this sight, Michael Davis, Sr. says V3i works. I don't know the difference in all these.

ExGMan

JSpira did a lot of research on the subject and really knows his stuff. Michael may also, but he's pairing the 'phone with a 2002-era 7-Series...something to keep in mind.

The maddening thing about all this is the various BT profiles, and the diverse array of profiles offered by different providers. I seems to recall that Verizon has a lot of software restrictions on 'phone utility. I'm sure AT&T has some too, but I haven't run into any that have been a problem for me. As to the size of the IPhone and the 8700c, I don't think you'd find yourself burdened. BBs come with a slim plastic holster which keeps the 'phone close to your body. Also, once you've tried "push" email, it's hard to go back to anything else.:)

MPHCPA

Sprint Phones

It's time for a new phone and car. The car is easy; 2008 335xi Coupe with Idrive and all the trimmings..sorta sounds like a Christmas Tree (or for the pc people out there a Holiday Tree).

However the phone is a problem. I use Sprint and will not change because of the great deal I have and it works for me.

Does any one have experience with the Motorazr V3m or the V9m.

I currently use the original Katana however the voice tags drive me crazy.

I do not need anything more than a phone. Blackberrys and such are really not for me.

Thanks

Marty

Jonathan Spira guest

The V3 as tested is fully compatible

To clarify, once I read Ed's post, I saw that there had been an entry error as the V3 is fully compatible (the tests below all were correctly listed, it was simply that someone ticked the wrong field - sorry about that).

GiantM3Power guest

Palm Treo

I have a 755 smart phone with verizon but the address book wont download. It will connect to the device and work through my hand set but the address book wont show up. Any suggestions?

Jonathan Spira guest

Only one thing: select a mobile that is fully compatible (see the newest review as well as the earlier but more extensive review of mobiles here at www.bmwcca.org

paulnittoly guest

compatible phone - Auto Wireless Solutions

I ordered a Motorola Razr from Auto Wireless Solutions which BMW references on its website . The phone has been a problem from the day I received it. My complaints are being ignored . Does anyone have any experience with these guys ?
    I have a new 328 conv on order and was looking for a compatible phone. Per my dealer's recommendation I contacted them.
    Paul Nittoly

MPHCPA

What kind of problems are you having?

Marty

paulnittoly guest

compatible phone - Auto Wireless Solutions

Pls remember I still have my new car on order. I bought this phone in anticipation that it would be fully compatible. I am not using bluetooth nd it does not place any calls. I dial and it goes dead..black screen. it

Jonathan Spira guest

Isn't that what either a warranty or return policy is for?

MPHCPA

Did you activate the phone?

paulnittoly guest

Policy is no returns after 5 days. I returned it once and they claim it was fixed. It is not. Same problem only now I am being ignored.

paulnittoly guest

YES. Phone is replacement . Using same SIM card.

Jonathan Spira guest

Regardless of return policy, the phone should still have a warranty from the mfr.