Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

wont start and hear heavy knocking

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by ricco39, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

ricco39 guest

i have a 90 e30. for the last 4 days i have been having some heavy knocking that has been coming from the right rear. i have checked thinking maybe busted shock but that wasnt the problem. last night my car would not turn over at all. turn key nothing.lights come on radio works but thats it. can use some advice on this one thanks guys

CRKrieger

Well, I would be stunned if these were related. I cannot help on the knocking sound unless you can tell us more about how it occurs and whether it is regular or intermittent. Could be the upper shock mount.

The no-start sounds like a near-dead battery or corroded connections. [Your lights and radio will work with poor connections and weak voltage, but your starter won't] I would check those first, then proceed to the fuses and relays. Hope you have a decent service manual to refer to.

ricco39 guest

wont start and heavy knocking

found out it was the starter and had car towed to my mechanic and in the process my oil pan was cracked so now shop is going to replace pan so now i wont get car back until wednesday now its on to finding out whats knocking over the right rear will give an update when i find out

CRKrieger

Did you test the starter itself? If so, how? Trust me; I have had exactly this situation before ... and it was not the starter. Face it: on cars this old (mine is older), a lot of very common small problems (like a corroded engine ground cable) are 'fixed' by mechanics putting in unneeded expensive parts while fixing the small problem.

ricco39 guest

starter

no had my mechanic check it out and it is starter but heres the kicker. tow company that cracked my oil pan was going to do a method of sealing the crack in the pan which of course i said no put a new or used pan there. figured they would try some bull crap to get over. now car maybe delayed another day! damn just shows youhow rotten some shops can be
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.