Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Ofest weekend driving school

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2009' started by tblackgt350, Jul 12, 2009.

tblackgt350

I am a new member and have two questions that I don't readily find the answers to in the registration info; I want to add my wife as a club member-how do I pay for this?
    Also, if it is not sold out, I want to purchase the Sat/Sun driving school; it looks like I get admission to the Bimmermeet as part of the package. Do I need to buy some sort of weekend pass for her to go to the track with me?
    Thank you for your time and consideration. This is my first BMW meet and it looks like a killer deal!
    Tim Black
    • Staff

steven s

Your wife can become an associate member by you calling the office at 864-250-0022.

If you only want to attend the Sat/Sun driving school, currently it is open to those with Road Atlanta experience since there will be (2) student run groups. You can attend BimmerMeet, but driving schools are a full day event with run sessions and class.

Edit: Your wife can attend BimmerMeet.
    We will have a separate registration for those wishing to only BimmerMeet.

tblackgt350

Thanks for the info. I've done 4 previous RA events and look forward to going back; I should have my E36 M3 ready to go in 5-6 days.

moisef guest

What if one has attended the driving school at RA on Thursday or Friday? Does this qualify as experience to run on Sat/Sun?

Thanks a lot!

FM
    • Staff

steven s

I'll get an answer for you.
    The reason experience is required is that there may only be two student run groups.
    Intermediate and Advanced.

conechaser

Will there be more than 2 student run groups for the DE during the week?
    • Staff

steven s

Wed-Thurs
    (1) Club Race School
    (3) Student
    (1) Instructors

Fri
    (1) Club Race practice
    (3) Student
    (1) Instructors

Sat-Sun
    (2) Club Race groups
    (2) Student (with prior RA experience)
    (1) Instructors

conechaser

Thank you and one more... How many sessions per day for each run group?
    • Staff

steven s

http://www.bmwccaofest.org/Road-Atlanta.phtml

How many people in each run group?
    Typically there are 25-30 cars per student run group.

How many students will be instructor have?
    Each instructor will generally have 2 students.

Are only BMWs allowed?

No. All cars are welcomed provided they meet our minimum standards and you are a BMW Car Club member.

How much driving time will I get?
    A standard schedule each of the days for DE.
    We will normally have (4) sessions with 25-30 minutes per run group.

moisef guest

Does experience of other HPDE count as well? Providing you get some experience of RA as well?

FM
    • Staff

steven s

Not in this case. Two student run groups pose more of a challenge.

Personally.
    At VIR I was in a rungroup with similar experienced drivers but ended up catching people everywhere. Trust me, I don't usually catch up to anyone unless they went off.
    There is something to be said for HPDE experience, but it's just not the same when it's your home track.

moisef guest

Let me know then if experience during the week will count to run on the week-end. This affects my planning and lodging decision.

Thanks a lot!
    • Staff

steven s

That will be fine. Go ahead and register.

ctbimmer

Correction: Friday's breakdown will be
    (2) Club Race Groups - practice/qualify/race
    (2) Student

(1) Instructors

And, yes, that prior RA experience for the weekend can be earned by participating in Wed-Fri DE days.

Chuck Taylor
    2009 Ofest Club Race & Driving School Chairman

conechaser

Chuck,

That most likely means that given the numbers of drivers for the Wed/Thur/Friday DE's, us Friday DE students will have more cars on track for our sessions than the Wed/Thurs students. (not a huge problem as I'm used to pointing people by)

Are all of the DE students still planned for four 25-30 minute sessions for each day?
    • Staff

steven s

Currently it's 5 more cars spaced over 2.5 miles. That is not to say that there wont be a few more cars per run group on Thursday. It is too soon to tell. The run sessions should all be the same. Things do happen though.

Over the course of my years, I've had my share of lost sessions.
    It is unavoidable.

conechaser

When I read your post I couldn't figure out how that would work with the same number of drivers per day. Then I looked at the entry lists and saw the cap was 90 on Thursday and 70 on Friday. Makes sense to me now. (90/3=30, 70/2=35)

Any info if the Friday DE/instructor run goups will be back to back to back or will be split up by the club race groups? (ex: DE1, club1, DE,2, instr, club2) Anything to help the instructors find their students and be able to spend some time before heading onto the track. It would also help the folks who are sharing a car get swapped and cool off the car.
    • Staff

steven s

We will leave that up to the Peachtree Chapter. I'm sure they will do the best they can.

bavarian3 guest

Does it say anywhere on the registration list or FAQs that you have to sign up for both days? I recently signed up for Sunday and I was called by the CCA office that I needed to sign up for both days? I canceled the registration...

sweetspotav guest

Run Group / Car #

Is there any way to find out in advance what run group we will be in?

Also, how do we find out what our car # will be. What areas on the car are the numbers required.