Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rust on wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by eagle1954, Jul 12, 2009.

eagle1954 guest

Has anyone experienced any excessive rust buildups on the sport wheels for their 2009 328xi coupe?

For additional information, this rust has been steadily increasing in build up over the last 3 to 5 months. Yes, we have had rain, but I have driven the car, washed the car, used the brakes, driven freeway miles, and the rust continues to build. Understand a little rust is normal after a rain, but after brake use and driving the rust usually goes away. This situation is not going away and does not appear to be normal. I use Griot Garage wheel cleaner only. So what is up with the rust build up on the hubs?

1996 328ti guest

I consider the wheels are what the tires are mounted to.
    Your wheels look great and super easy to clean.

I would consider the rust on the hubs as being normal.
    After a rain you may also see rust on the rotors. Perfectly normal.

I wouldn't worry about it.

az3579

+1. The rust isn't on the wheel itself, it's on the hub, which is normal.

M3Driver guest

Now what you can do (and I did this to my 330Ci when I had it) was remove the wheel, scuff the hub with a Scotch-brite pad, and paint it with an appropriate color paint from VHT. Looked great from then on up to when I sold the car.

As mentioned above, rust on the rotors after a rain or car wash is normal and first application from the brakes takes care of that.

granthr

+4 The rust is on the hub/brake rotor, not the wheels. The rotor comes all the way out to the wheel, so obviously the brake pads don't rub on the whole rotor. The rotor is made of iron, iron rusts quickly. Not much you can do other than what M3Drive suggested. BMW won't do anything. With such an open design of your wheels you notice it more compared to a car with a more close wheel design.

nweigen

Rust on rotor hubs

I have the same problem with the hubs on my 04 X-3, I pressure clean my wheels and undercarriage almost every time I wash the car and have been able to keep the hub rust at bay, but now I am thinking about spraying the hubs with high heat paint to bring back the "new look" . Any suggestions as to where I can get a close color match spray paint.

Thanks,

Norm...

M3Driver guest

Check out the paint line from VHT....