Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Failure of iPhone 3GS to Bluetooth pair

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by DerekM33, Jul 9, 2009.

DerekM33

The list of BMW compatible cell phones includes the Apple iPhone 3G operating with v. 3.0 software. Based on this, and information obtained directly from BMW, I recently purchased a 3GS phone, which also uses v.3.0 software. I have attempted to Bluetooth pair the phone with my 2007 335i coupe several times, without any success. The phone successfully discovers the BMW device, but shows it simply as "BMW", without the additional five digit number. After a passkey number is entered on the iPhone, and the same number on the iDrive screen, a message appears on the phone that states: "Could not pair with BMW'". Has anybody else experienced this problem, and is there a fix? I don't know whether the problem is with the phone software or the iDrive software. I was really looking forward to seeing and dialing from the full contact list on the iDrive screen.:(

az3579

The 3G and 3GS may both now run the 3.0 software, but the 3GS has slightly different hardware which may affect the compatibility with the BMW hard/software. The 3G is approved, but remember that because of the very slight hardware changes, the 3GS is still technically a different model.

rspeser

3gs

I was able to pair my iPhone 3GS with my 2006 Z4 with only minimal problems. The first phone took three attempts to pair and was finally successful. The phone was replaced because of slow WiFi and the replacement paired on the first attempt. There were reports of scattered problems pairing the 3GS with the car but all of them were resolved after several attempts.

fellenz guest

I was able to pair my iphon 3GS to my 2007 335xi with no problems.

mikehew guest

Saw your message, I've got a 3GS (mine) and a 3G (my wife's). Both saw the BMW (with last 5 digits of VIN) but would not handshake when I entered PIN provided in manual.

Any ideas?

rspeser

See my post above, sometimes it takes multiple attempts for the phone to finally pair. You may need to turn off the car and start again or take the phone out of discoverable mode and then enter it again. It also might not hurt to do a hard reset on the phone if you continue to have problems pairing. The PIN should be on a card listed as PK: followed by a 4 digit code.

pas4751 guest

I have a 2006 530i and an iphone with 3.1.2 version software and cannot pair the phone. the phone found the bmw and will not pair. Any suggestions??
    thanks

Macadamia

About a month ago, we had some work done to our 2003 X5 at the dealership. They gave us a 2009 328 as a loaner. As I was goofing around with all of the features, I decided to try to test out the bluetooth feature. I have a 32gig 3GS iPhone. It took a couple of tries, but it did pair with my phone and I was even able to search my contact list with the steering wheel buttons.

It does work, keep trying... :)

pas4751 guest

Mac:
    i have sat in the car and have tried about a dozen times in the last 12 months. is the pin the same as what comes up on the phone when is recognizes the car?

Macadamia

If I remember correctly, yes. Both the car display and the phone displayed the pin number to use. I wish I could help more... once it worked, I did not need to mess with it again until I deleted my phone from the bluetooth settings on the car.

pas4751 guest

I will keep trying. i am about to order a new X5 diesel and I hope that it will be easier in that.thanks for your help

bcweir

Another helpful tip: turn airplane mode on then off again...

you can also try resetting network settings. Please note that resetting the network settings on the iphone will erase wifi logins and stored wifi passwords, as well as stored VPN logins and VPN passwords.

Airplane mode can be turned off by going into Settings.

Reset Network Settings is Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings, proceed through the warning screen. Iphone will reboot automatically. Try the bluetooth again after the phone returns to the Home screen. Then attempt the pairing again.

Another tip: make sure your bluetooth device is compatible with the iPhone.

pas4751 guest

I will give it a try.
    Thanks

pas4751 guest

bc thank you very much. I reset the phone and it worked on the first try!!! have a gret evening

Paul

bcweir

Awesome! Good job!

Glad to hear it works. Airplane mode reset and resetting network settings are the gentle and firm ways of doing the same thing: forcing the Iphone to reboot its built-in networking radios, exactly what we wanted to accomplish.

I'm glad to hear your iphone played right into your hands.

jbcritch guest

Saw the post.

Turn off the WiFi. I understand that causes some hicups in the pairing process.

With WiFi off my 3GS pairs fine with both my 2005 325i and my 2007 550i and no issues.