Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Getting dealer to perform inspection 2 work with mileage countdown still at 4500 mile

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by nealjh, Jul 7, 2009.

nealjh guest

Any suggestions on how to get the dealer to perform some inspection level 2 work 4500 miles prior to the scheduled mileage?

My engine is hesitating and stalling at idle. The lower the gas level, the more pervasive. Last week the check engine light came on. A non BMW dealer mechanic stated it was a vacuum hose code and reset the check engine light. He was not able to find a vacuum leak. He pulled the gas filter and blew it out said it was full of gunk. He thinks the car just needs a "tune-up." Because I have the extended maintenance plan, I took the car to the dealer to get the inspection 2 service performed. This would result in replacing the gas filter, air filter, etc... tune-up type items my car appears to need now. The problem is my mileage is 55,500 and the service due count down states I have 4,500 miles to go before inspection 2 is due. The dealer is balking at performing the work under the maintenance plan and wants to send me away, telling me to buy the BMW gas additive. It seems ridiculous to not perform the maintenance when needed, even if it's before the scheduled date. At this rate, I'll have to pay to have the maintenance done now. 4000 miles later, there will little to know work for BMW to do under my pre-paid plan. I'll in effect pay twice.
    Any suggestions on how to get the dealer to perform some inspection level 2 work 4500 miles prior to the scheduled mileage?
    Thanks.

CSBM5

Hunt down the cause of the problem first. The "standard" BMW Inspection II for the E46 does not include a fuel filter or spark plugs. Check the Inspection II list of items to see what is covered. Hence for what you think you might need, you'll have to pay extra anyway (i.e. spark plugs and fuel filter). Given the code you found, it's not likely that will fix the underlying issue anyway. The BMW maintenance plan will only cover items on the official "Inspection II" list for your car.

nealjh guest

Thanks for the information! The dealer stated they think it's the "air flow meter" for $620, before my BMW club discount. I'm not sure I understand how the air flow meter will account for the increase misfires and stalling when the gas level gets closer to "E." But, I hope it works! He said the fuel pressure was 14 pounds, as good as new, so he doesn't think the fuel filter or line congestion is an issue. Will drive it for 50 miles and see if the check engine line comes on again.
    I plan to use the BMW fuel additive after testing the "air flow meter" fix for at least 200 miles.
    I did get my brakes replaced under the maintenance plan :)

CSBM5

Yikes! You might want to check their "pricing" on the MAF. For my E46 330i I checked out a new MAF just recently, and the BMWNA MSRP for one is $402. Tischer BMWs discounted online price was ~$320 (i.e. www.getbmwparts.com).

EDIT: the part number I checked for my car was 13627566983.

nealjh guest

Based on your thread, I addressed this with the dealer and he matched the $402 price, but wouldn't add an additional 10% BMW Car Club discount on top of that. Thank you for arming with the info to at least save $70!

The dealer also added the BMW gas additive. Now, I won't know if the additive ($15) or the "air mass meter" ($515 w one hour of labor) is making the difference in eliminating the misfires and stalling.

CSBM5

Yeah, it's amazing how much people are paying for parts are some dealerships, especially in CA it seems. BMWNA has raised parts prices in the past year, in some cases significantly, and many dealers charge prices WELL in excess of BMWNA suggested list price. They then give club members a "discount" when said discounted price doesn't even get the part back to the BMWNA suggested list price level.

The short-sightedness of dealers practicing this behavior generally results in almost everyone going to a non-dealer for repairs after the warranty period. In the meantime, they fleece the unknowing who continue to use them while often times "agreeing" with the customer with how expensive "BMW" parts are for a repair.

I think the practice of charging whatever they can for prices has accelerated at some dealerships in the past year as they are trying force money out of service customer's pockets to cover their decline in car sales over in the sales department.

If the new MAF fixes your running problems and codes being thrown, I doubt that the fuel additive (probably Techron) had anything to do with the issue.

shanneba

CSBM5