Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Removing water spots

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 129794, Jul 6, 2009.

Hello all! I searched and found nothing on how to remove water spots. No matter how much I wash and wax they never seem to go away. I am using blue zymol wax that I bought at a local autoparts store. Is there something else I should be using?? Clay perhaps? Ive heard that zymoll carbon works well. BTW... my car is one year old with about 6,000 miles and is always garaged and it is jet black. Thanks for any and all help!!:)

granthr

It is important to dry the car off after washing with a shamy or something similar. That is how you avoid water spots. If you washed your car and let it air dry and then waxed it, then the water spots are under the wax. You will have to strip the wax off and start again. Zymol makes a cleaner that you are suppose to use before you wax. That would probably get everything off, including the water spots. Good Luck.

wretched

This is why i'm kind of confused... I always dry with a super absorbent shammy and these particular water sports never go anywhere. I have washed many times since they appeared and even tried to remove them with another coat of wax. Perhaps they are indeed under an old coat but its been almost a year.... :mad:

cwerley guest

I feel your pain...

I bought my Jet Black E90 M3 ... ... used off a Ford lot where they obviously had no love for it the 6 months+ it was there. I have water spots both on the trunk lid and hood. Put a clear mask on the front and the ones on the hood have "disappeared". My husband has used the P21S paint prep, followed by their carnuba wax with a buffer. That helped a bit but some of the larger spots/rings remain. Beyond that we're not sure what to do other than what you've done: dry it with microfiber the second you're done rinsing.

M3Driver guest

I'm guessing a clay-bar system would do the job (but it WILL be a lot of work). Sounds like you are washing it the correct way so once those spots are gone, get good coat of the wax of your choice on it, and you should be good to go.

As an aside, I have heard that white vinegar will remove hard water spots but I am NOT advocating washing a car with it! Perhaps some spot treatment using a soft cloth would get them up (unless you have a lot of them and it's back to the clay-bar).

rspeser

Water Spots

You didn't say what part of the country you are in, but I would guess that you are in the North East and have something similar to acid rain spots on the car. I have used Girot's Machine Polish 2 & 3 followed by a good coat of Best of Show Wax to remove water spots etc, from paint. The polish's are put on using an orbital buffer and are fairly simple to remove. The Best of Show Wax is super, but can become a problem to remove unless you use their speed shine or spray wax while you are removing it. My previous car was black and suffered from scratches and swirl marks while it was on the dealers lot and their car washing people used brushes to wash the car. The above process removed the scratches and swirl marks. It will be a full morning with the above procedure, but the end results will be well worth it.

Brian A

Sacré bleu! Zee word eez "chamois". Zey are a leetle goat zat grow in a large factory in China.

M3Driver guest

I actually thought "Shammy" is a distant cousin of the aforementioned Chinese goat that is native to Mississippi.

granthr

Thank you Brian for keeping me straight! No I don't dry my BMWs off with a goat! :eek: Oh the trials of the English language. So flexible yet so confusing! :) And this is my native tongue.

bluewagon

Go to wetpaintglaze.com
    I am a huge fan of griots products I use their Clay bar Speed shine and #4 machine polish.
    After that use wet paint You will never use anything else.
    bluewagon