Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M3 Interior

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by lugnut, Mar 28, 2008.

lugnut guest

Just picked up my M3 yesterday (been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks), and love it. It's space gray, carbon roof, Fox Red Extended leather. However, imagine my surprise when I got in, and found that the lovely M floormats that I had in my previous M3 (e46) had been replaced with the standard black BMW carpets. What is more alarming is that BMW doesn't even have any M mats on the website.

Anyone have any info on this. And yes, I am fully aware of the extreme level of nitpicking that I am doing....

M3Driver guest

The M floor mats were an option when bought my car and I would have had to pay if I didn't have a good relationship with my dealer. I'm guessing the OEM BMW mats are SOP in all the cars.

Heck, go back and try to get a set "on the house" if you are a good (repeat) customer they shouldn't have any problem in giving you a set. What's $120.00 on a 50k car....:rolleyes:

wanesso

new floor mats

I will pick up my M3 this sat.--the dealer said he'd throw in new M mats(can't believe a 70K car doesn't come w/mats), M license plate holder, coffee mug (?)--but it looks like most of us in this club would get the car no matter.....

M3Driver guest

Should have read your post closer; new V8 M3. Congrats; wring it out and let us know how you like after a few thousand miles. Looking at one of those in my garage in a couple of years.

lugnut guest

Early Impressions:

- The car has tremendous pull, even staying within the 5500 mile break in (finished the 1200 miles in 4 days).
    - While it is nice to have everything mapped to the "M Drive" (must everything be "letter Drive" these days), I am confused as to why the car simply doesn't come set up that way from the start. Someone buying an "M" car WANTS PERFORMANCE...
    - Do not purchase this car if you have ever contemplated the rising costs of fuel. Just don't even bother. In fact, place some duct tape over the fuel gauge, and just fill up when it starts to beep at you. Buy a 335i, and ship it out to Dinan for software mapping if getting 200 milts to a tank bothers you (my sister is having her e93 335i sent to Dinan soon, so I can update how the Dinan compares to the M3).
    - Absolutely sublime chassis. Zero body roll. Taking hairpins at breathtaking speeds has never been easier. Better then a 911 C2S, obviously not near the Elise/Exige, but then we do have rear seats, a trunk, carpets, and a 103 speaker surround sound stereo that can blast "All Right Now" at eardrum piercing levels...
    - Better all around ride (both wet and dry surprisingly) then both my previous E46 M3, and E90 330xi.

wanesso

M3

Will be wet in Central NY when I drive my M3 the first time tomorrow---very glad to hear it's still superior on wet roads--won't know what tires they've used on the 19" wheels, the salesman says they don't know until they see them. 1200 miles in 4 days--wow!
    Regarding those fast corners; the Exige/Elise is not really superior here is it? IS IT??:eek:

lugnut guest

To be honest nothing I have ever driven can compare w/ and Exige in the twisties. It simply has such low weight that saying "it handles like it is on rails" doesn't do it justice. If you ever have the chance to drive one do it. It's a track car that is thinly, very thinly, dressed as a road car. Granted you have to drive it like it's stolen to keep those revs up, but that is part of the joy of the Lotus. Also, the Exige is sooooo low that I found it annoying to get in and out of (I'm 6'3", 200lbs).

I have the 18"s on my M, and those are covered with the Pilot sports. I assume that the 19"s do as well.

330indy1

curious...

did you ever compare the M Roadster to the Exige?

lugnut guest

The Z4 M roadster/coupe is probably the only M car out there that I haven't had any wheel time in. But look at the weight for both cars, and the Exige is still lighter. It barely weighs more then the 2 passengers... I can compare the Z4 3.0 roadster though, and while very good, and very capable, the Exige really does take the cake over everything I have ever driven. It is better than 911's, better than Ferraris (the F430 is a better car, but in terms of handling the Exige is tops), better than Lambos (I have never driven the superleggera, but the normal Gallardo is awesome). I haven't driven and R8 yet, but seeing as how it is a more "civilized" version of the Gallardo I am still putting my $$ on the Exige.

All that being said, I still would never buy an Exige over any of those cars listed. It simply isn't comfortable enough for real world use. That is why I purchased the e92 M3. It really performs just as well as a 911S, F430 (the ferrari tends to batter you after a long trip on American roads), nearly purchased a Gallardo, but i drive a lot of miles and the out of warranty costs on italian cars is staggering (generally at least $5 a mile once out of warranty!!), and the Z06 is a great car and bang for your buck, but it doesn't feel as nice on the road as the normal Vette, and the Viper is out because I am a good enough driver to know that I am not god enough to drive a Viper regularly and not crash. With the e92 M you are basically getting supercar performance numbers, but with a back seat and room for luggage for a week long vacation. And in that sense, it is somewhat of a sleeper to the non-enthusiast crowd.

330indy1

by the way

what the heck are you driving in your profile pic??

M3Driver guest

Hmmm..... If I got my TV viewing correct, that is Jeremy from that great BBC show "Top Gear" driving the Ariel Atom.......

lugnut guest

That's not me, that is Jeremy Clarkson (British Auto Journalist, host of Top Gear). He is driving an Ariel Atom. If you have BBC America you gotta start watching. I believe it is on Monday Nights from 8pm-10pm. Great TV show, and if you like cars, it's even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA

Check out the video and be amazed at what a Honda Civic engine can do to a human face!!!:)

wanesso

track racing

what was the answer to lugnut's wild photo--looks like he's on a roller coaster?

Have 500 of the 1200 on the M3 now, hit 6000rpm once just for a few sec'/s (supposed to keep under 5500)---haven't done the hairpin turns yet---has anyone done the driving schools sponsored by local clubs? Would like to try the watkin's glen track with instruction.

az3579

By all means! :D

330indy1

funny stuff

cool video...

lugnut guest

OK, I got about 2k on the odometer now, and my god is this engine amazing. Every time I drive it I just randomly start laughing like an absolute lunatic. The exhaust note when full throttle above 6000rpm is nearly orgasmic. I am actually looking for concrete dividers to drive next to just so I can down shift.

As for the carpets, I have the normal BMW carpets, but evidently BMW is not currently selling the "M" specific mats any more. My quest continues.

Also, If anyone is in the metro NY area and wants to take a fun drive head up to Bear Mountain. The hairpins to Bear Mountain Park from the Palisades Parkway, and from the park to the Summit are awesome. You'll see some cool cars up there normally as well (I was there last Sunday and saw a R8 and a nice looking Viper GTS)

wanesso

patience is a tough virture

I have 850 mi on the car--anticipating the steady hum and balance of 6,000rpm soon----would love to try the hairpins on the mountain!--not too many here in the Syracuse area--the R8 is the car I nearly went for...love the way the TT handles......have mild twinges of regret but I expect all will be forgotton when this engine ages a bit more----but the shifter.....wonder if that will be a universal "complaint".

Anyone experience BMW's paddle shifters? I heard they were not up to snuff compared to Ferrari and Lambo. but maybe that's the eventual answer for the M3 a few more iterations from now.

cougarclaws guest

Of course the M3 is NOT a go-cart like the Exige. The car is made for 0 braking in the corners. I would have bought one if I had the kidneys for it. Not a good daily driver. When I am racing, I don't care if my kidneys take a beating, but when on the street, I like to give them a break.

lugnut guest

Absolutely. Plus, I'm 6'3", and I felt like a tool having to extract myself from the Lotus. That and the whole peeing blood after hitting a pot-hole gets old real fast.

CryNoMo guest

I thought this thread was about the interior, well just to put my .02 cents about it
    I just like to say:

The M3 interior felt like I was in my DD e90 325i, didnt feel I spent the extra $35 grand.
    But I wouldnt say I'd turn down an offer if someone hand over a new M3 keys to me ;)

ok you guys can talk about anything else :D