Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2009 m3 or 2010 335i - Help me decide!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by JackK, Jun 29, 2009.

JackK guest

I'm looking at a '09 m3 sedan versus ordering a '10 335i sedan with M Sports Package. Mid life crisis heart wants the m3, brain says get the 335i. Worth the price? - $66K versus $53K? Will I regret not gettng the m3? Will m3 people "ridicule" me for getting the M sports package? Help!

MGarrison

M cars are more special, now and forever, than your more standard bimmers - I say go for the M3 unless the the extra money is a significant factor for you.

granthr

+1 Especially if you think you might adding modifications to the 335i to make it more sporty. Might as well start with that in the first place. :)

Although if it was my money I would buy the Diesel! 335d FTW! :D

pseto

is this a daily driver? if so, then 335i would prob be a better choice since the gas savings is significant and the ride a little smoother. not sure why anyone would ridicule you for the M sport package since many people who drive a 335i end up modding it with M3 stuff anyways.

if this is a weekend/track car, then the M3 is a no brainer. no mods necessary out the box, but that tends to change after a while :)

JackK guest

Thanks for the feedback. 335i M Sports Package is the way to go

I'm not really a track guy so the 335i M Sports Package with lower price and gas miledge seems the way to go. Another question though..

Can you get a special order of Carbon Leather Interior trim instead of the standard trim packages available for a 335i with the M Sports Package?I think the Carbon Leather Interior trim with Black Dakota leather would be hot with the space grey exterior and an M Sports Package on a 335i.

What about getting Cloth-alcantara trims? Any feed back on that?

CSBM5

I sure wouldn't call the ride a "little smoother" in the 335 ZSP since the 40 and 35 series runflats are very harsh over sharp-edged pavement, concrete roadway joints, etc. The M3 is actually a MUCH better compromise between handling and ride. Have you ever driven them both back-to-back to compare? If you do that, you'll quickly see the difference. A lot of that difference is in the runflats which have extremely stiff sidewalls.

pseto

i assumed that the RFTs would come off; they suck

pseto

good luck getting any of those in the 335 if you're in the US. i'm not sure what the priority 1 options nowadays, but i doubt any of those would be on the list.

CSBM5

In terms of outright performance, I've found that they (i.e. 18" very high-end tires) perform extremely well. I've driven and instructed on track and autox many times in E90 330/335 with 18" RFTs, and both the Bridgestone RE050A and Michelin PS2 ZP are excellent tires from a performance standpoint. The only downside to them is the rough ride which of course makes for excellent transient response from the tire.:cool:

ACM1899 guest

328, 335, 550, etc are all just numbers. That ///M though is what a BMW is ment to be.

Spend the extra money and get the M.

GL.

davkim39 guest

M

As previously mentioned, M cars are special (exclusivity, performance, subtlety). The M3 will be a car you will want to keep forever. The V8 is also something special, especially since I believe most manufacturers are already focused on modifying smaller engines (750i twin turbos, 2010 S4 is supercharged) instead of keeping larger engines with beautiful exhaust notes and smooth torque ranges. I would always take a naturally-aspirated car over a turbo or supercharged car.

Assuming both cars are new, just pay a little bit more for the car you love. You will be much happier ever time you get in and drive. Mid-Life Crisis should have no regrets, assuming you can afford either car.

The only time I would recommend a 335i over M3 would be affordability and whether it was a used M3 versus new 335i. You want warranty coverage, especially on 3-series as several kinks with sunroofs and a/c continue to be minor problems. You have to be cautious with used high-performance cars, as a car that has been tracked can be rough regardless of low mileage.

srobmw guest

My 335 lease is up and I acted on the mid-life crisis. Should be taking delivery of the M in a few days.:D

az3579

So how much you gonna charge for rides? :D

srobmw guest

More than you can afford, son.:p

shanneba

Get the M3 - and only the M3

catmundu

BUY THE M3!!!!!!!!!!!!! we just got back from m school and 1 of our classmates regrets not getting the m vs his new 335. not to mention, i want one now. :D +1 on the naturally aspirated vs turbo reasoning also. :)

that car is amaaaazing! DO IT!

Kurt Helm

Either car has its own merits. I just bought a new Z4M Roadster (E85M) rather than the newer Z4. The primary reason is that the M is a purpose-built vehicle whereas the new Z4 is more of a competitor to the Mercedes SLK. It's not a snob-appeal matter, it's just that an enthusiast really appreciates the M set-up and it's ability to deliver on the promise.

I think its the same with the two vehicles you're considering - the 2010 is clearly a great car, but the M is the M; if you can appreciate the difference, it's worth it, if you can't, then stay with the 2010.

BR,

K. Helm

shanneba

Amita,

When are you going to get your E90 M3 to add to the collection?

JackK guest

Thanks to all for feedback on 335i vs m3

Awsome.. Thank you! Overwelming response which is highly favorable on the m3. Now if I only have the guts to pull the triggger -in two weeks... Gas milege is awful, a muscle car, and $12K more. Jeez. This is keeping me awake nights! ( I'm just a working guy who's best car was a 240Z in 1979. ) Nothing but kids and mortgages since. NOW.. it's my turn. The $65K +- is a stretch but possible.

i'm not really a track guy ( but could be if I pick up a new hobby..) Virginia International Raceway (VIR) is a only an hour a way! but I only drive 10,000 miles a year. I love to drive but I'm in the city/expressway. Should I go for the m3 sedan with space grey, black novillo leather, carbon leather trim, technology, premium, fold downs, nav, and smartphone,?

I think I want you to talk me into it. Is this a car to keep for 10 years versus the 335i a turn in at year 3?

JackK

granthr

I am telling you go for the Diesel!!!!!! :D Or at least test drive the thing. Great mpg and 425 ft lbs of torque! That is more than an M5! :D