Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M-Technic

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by Stephen King, Jun 24, 2009.

Stephen King guest

I ordered some parts for my 1995 540i. When they arrived the body shop let me know they had received the wrong parts. They called the dealership in Knoxville, TN to get some answers. They asked him for my VIN number. He gave it to them and was told that my car is an M-Tech. Can sombody please tell me what makes my car an M-Tech? What's the difference in it and a regular 540i? Thanks, Stephen King

granthr

Not positive here, but what I believe makes a 95 540i an M-tech, would be sport interior, 6-speed manual trans, sport suspension, and maybe M5 body kit (not sure on that one). Not sure on what wheels came on this car either. Hopefully some 540i sport owners can chime in here.

But if this is what you have, you have a very nice car and there are not very many of them. Put up some pictures! :)

CSBM5

There were a small number of E34 540i models produced for the USA market in 1995 that had many of the E34 M5-like features (US model M5) -- they look very similar to the E34 M5. I'll pull the quote from www.bmwmregistry.com below. Note that over the years, "impostor" versions of these have appeared...VIN will tell all though as it did in your case. It's basically the rarest USA imported E34.

Stephen King guest

540i M-Technic

Thank you Chuck for all the information. I really appreciate your help.
    Sincerely,

Stephen King

Stephen King guest

540i M-Technic

Thank you Chuck for all the information. I had no idea about any of this. I hope the BMW Dealer in Knoxville, TN put my VIN number in correctly.

Sincerely,

Stephen King

Johan guest

I have read something online about this, it seems some 540's got a sport package and then there was the M-technic. I heard one easy way to tell is if your door sills have the M logo instead of the BMW letters. I understand its easy enough to change them and if you really do have the M-Technic it really will be a nice car. Pictures please.
    Johan