Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Deer Whistler things

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Lori S, Jun 16, 2009.

Lori S guest

I want to install the whistler things that are supposed to repel deer.
    I want to put them behind the grille but the dealer told me that to remove the grille is a really big job.
    I have a 2008 335i coupe.

Any suggestions?
    Currently they are under the grilles, where the mesh grilles are but they show and look ugly.

John in VA

We have a tremendous number of white tailed deer in this area, and studies don't show those plastic things to be very effective. Anecdotal evidence abounds, but I'm not convinced they work.

Check this list of links to see if you can do this yourself. Look at the tips mentioning "kidney grills."

TeamStowell We love driving!

Just a thought....

I always wondered who told the deer that hearing the whistle means "I'm about to be run over and should turn back...". It's like putting a bell on your cat to warn birds of thier impending doom. I don't think nature works that way, but I could be wrong.

Hey, I think I hear the ice cream truck.... got to run!

lcjhnsn

ROFL!!!!!!

I too have wondered if there is any possibility that these things could be anywhere near effective. If there is something about the pitch of the whistles that is inherently repulsive to white tails is it even possible to get the whistles into clean airflow, out of the boundary layer and numerous eddys around the headlights and bumper so they do anything? They would have to be mounted on 2 foot tall stalks in the middle of the roof.

Rick4345 guest

Try putting them on the bottom of your bumper. Just make sure that they are on the correct sides. Yes, there is a right and wrong way to mount them. If it helps, I have had them on every car I own and have hit three deer, two at once. I am a state trooper and have them on all my cars, even my patrol car. That being said, you still need to watch out. As stupid as this sounds, there are deer that are deaf, just like us.

It's very hard not to laugh at the whole idea. If you'll put these things on a Bimmer, what the heck would you do to a "beater" pick-up?

BIMMIR guest

I think you should just stick half a dozen across the top front of the hood. That would be sweet!

To heck with blue tooth, you could do a CB radio and a whip antenna on the back bumper too. :)

bluewagon

Deer thingees

When I was working as a sales person in the Northeast I hit two deer with company cars.
    My boss bought me a set of these . I did not hit any deer after that, but that does not mean that they worked. I drove by groups of deer and they did nothing. They just stood there.
    bluewagon
    2003 325it
    member #3175

SDKmann guest

Deer whistles don't work, but go very nicely with the vinyl top when you get your Caddy and retirement home in Florida picked out. If deer havn't associated the sound of cars with death than they won't associate whistles with it either.

If you don't want to hit deer there are some pretty simple things you can do. Pay attention to your surroundings, get off the cell phone in the car and don't speed excessively in areas that are likely to have deer in them. There are a lot of deer in Iowa, even more in Wisconsin where I am frequently. Ive probably had a hundred deer pass in front of me and never had an accident, or been afraid that one could have happened. I either saw them before they dashed into the road or acted calmly and accordingly when they surprise me.

pseto

well, i'll try to answer the OP's question. if you're talking about putting them behind your kidney grills, they are not hard to get off. there are clips all around that you'll have to slowly wiggle them out. once you get one out, it'll be easier to get the rest off. shouldnt take more than 10 mins IMO.

John in VA