Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Fuel pump problem on 335s

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Joeb427, Jun 15, 2009.

Joeb427 guest

I've been reading about the fuel pump problems on 335s.
    Just how bad is this problem?
    Percentage of 335s that have had the problem?
    Having just bought a 335,I feel very uncomfortable about the possibly of the wife,me or both of us being stranded somewhere because of the fuel pump issue.

pseto

what year is your car? i've gone thru 1 already and there are some people that have gone thru 2. you can always try to talk to your SA to do a preventative fix

Joeb427 guest

New '08.
    I just called my dealer service and asked about the fuel pump issue.
    I was told there's an updated fuel pump in my '08.Something with the shrader valve vs ball and pin was changed?
    I've read that people are having issues with '09s but I didn't mention that because I'd get some BS anyway.
    When I asked about any warning signs before getting stranded,he said long starts,the car will start to run differently and some dash lights may appear.
    Didn't mention any kind of preventative fix.
    I use only Shell V-Power if that helps.

mlweaver

The original high pressur e fuel pumps had a weakness. It is one reason that I waited until the 2008 model year to get this car. I am satisfied that the pump in the 2008 cars is OK. No problems so far ...

VertigoFlyer guest

2008 335xi

I have an 2008 335xi that I replaced a high pressure fuel pump on. It was doing long starts in the morning instead of that wonderful instant start we are all used to. I took it in to the dealership and they hemmed and hawed over fixing it and eventually talked me into taking it home to see if it continues. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. So a week later I brought it back in and it took them three days to run the analysis and replace the high pressure fuel pump.

There are two fuel pumps on the 335. One is the low pressure fuel pump and it resides in the fuel tank. The other one is the high pressure fuel pump and it sits in the engine bay under the intake manifold. To replace the high pressure fuel pump the intake manifold needs to be removed. No small task it would seem since it took so long to complete.

Anyway it runs great now and this has been the only major service to date and we are on month 13 of ownership and about 16,000 miles.

Joeb427 guest

I've read on BMW forums that '09s are having the fuel pump issue too.
    This problem has been around since '06.
    You would think BMW would have a fix by now.They surely have dropped the ball on this matter.
    There's no excuse to have the same problem three years.

bimmertech guest

It is true that there have been quite a few failures among every model with the N54 powerplant. It should not disuade you from purchasing one though. It is highly unlikely that one would ever "leave you stranded." The most common sign of a failed pump is an extended crank with check control message. You will notice reduced power, but it will not keep the vehicle from being operational. BMW has extended the warranty on these pumps to 10 years or 120k. While they have revised the pump twice by my count, there are still failures occuring. However, I strongly believe they will find and correct all issues with these pumps before the warranties expire.

GELSO

Does anyone know if the fuel pump problem has occurred on 2008 328s? Mine has almost 15,000 and it has just recently begun to take slightly longer to start.

Thanks for any information.

bimmertech guest

^^^ No. The N52 powerplant in the 328 is not equipped with a high pressure pump. If you have an extended crank you may want to mention it on your next service visit.

GELSO

Thanks for that information. I'll be seeing my dealer for the yearly oil change in a few weeks, and I will mention it to him.

Thanks again.

Joeb427 guest

It seems the twin turbo 750 may have the same fuel pump issue.
    There was a thread on a BMW forum.The 750 problem won't be talked about much as sales are much,much lower than the X35 cars,

Qunadry

I guess I'm lucky. I had no fuel pump problems with my 335i in the two years I drove it and so far no problems with my 135i. It is funny though that BMW sent me a letter extending the fuel pump warranty on the 335i a month after I took delivery of the 135i.

wesBMW

It Finally Happened to Me!!

I have been reading about the fuel pump problems for many months and last week I just experienced my first problem with it. Have a 2008 335xi with 22,000 miles and the car was running perfectly until last week. First symptoms were long crank and rough idle. Then, dashboard warning of "engine malfunction, reduced power" appeared. Limped into my BMW dealer and the technician started troubleshooting. His first diagnostic test suggested the low pressure fuel system needed replacing. That was done but the problems continued so he replaced the high pressure fuel pump. Yep, that did it!! Car runs perfect again. I bought the car as a CPO with 13,000 miles so I can't verify whether this is the first HPFP replacement or not. Certainly hope BMW has improved the pump by now after replacing so many.....

Joeb427 guest

Nope!
    I'm on a few forums and the '09s seem to worse than the '07s and '08s.Many threads with '09 fuel pump failures.

BIMMIR guest

Is there a superior aftermarket alternative that anyone has tried?

WDW1Fanatic guest

Unfortunately the HPFP problem is on the 2009 E93's (I thought it had been fixed in '09 MY). I found out the hard way with random rough starts for a couple of weeks, followed by a "Service Engine Soon" light coming on last Sunday. My HPFP was replaced yesterday at only 4K miles and I'm off and running again.

Joeb427 guest

I believe BMW knows the cause of the FP issue but the fix is too expensive.It's more than the pump.I'm going with something in the engine design.So it's cheaper to fix the pumps as they break down.
    If the problem was just the pump,BMW would have developed a working pump by now.
    This is the third year the problem has existed.

David1

It has nothing to do with engine design! Where do you guys come up with this crap. It is just a pump issue. If this pump was on an Audi or Chevy it would still fail. The pump has been built by 2 manufacturers now (Siemens and Bosch) with the same results. If you read all the testing proceedures that BMW makes the Techs go through, you will realize that it not always the pump. There are many issues with sensors and the low pressure side of the fuel system. Each test data that the tech performs is transmitted to BMW for analysis in a step by step process unless the car has a specific code for the pump which usually is accompanied by the SES light. If the car does not have the code, it's hours of diagnostic time and a deduction/guess by BMW.

Joeb427 guest

The fuel delivery is part of the engine design,isn't it?The fuel delivery system is flawed somehow causing the pumps to fail.
    No excuse for BMW to have the same problem for 3 years.If it was the pump only,BMW would have developed a better pump. T
    They'll change 'em but not do the correct repair for it would cost too much money.The bean counters say it's cheaper to replace the pumps.
    The extended warranty of 10/120 is the white flag only to avoid a classaction suit.That is,until a few people get killed when the pump dies while the car is in motion at highway speeds.Yes,I've read of two incidents of that happening on other BMW forums.Though It seems to be a very low chance of that happening,fortunately..
    The single turbo N55 is coming out next year in the 5 Series.Do you think that FP will fail too?
    Will Ford's twin turbo fuel pump in the SHO Taurus fail too?

David1

Fuel is just a subsystem. The motor will run on other types fuel delivery systems. But the real problem is our fuel having ethanol and the pump or various parts failing from it. BMW can't control the fuel, but they should have made the pump more ethanol resistant.