Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

No more CPO lease deals

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by 109941, Jun 14, 2009.

You know, it's sorta sad when you realize that you're on the short-end of the current recession.

With all the talk of the current car market being a buyer's market, someone forgot to visit a BMW dealer. I'm coming to the end of my fourth lease on a CPO 3-series. In each of these leases, I had a great experience with the car and BMW FS. A few of the cars had reliability issues (one had a bullet hole in door frame, I swear), but the extended warranty resolved the problems at minimal expense.

Unfortunately for me, BMW FS has decided to end the CPO lease offers in favor of aggressive offers on new vehicle leases. The new vehicle leases are very attractive but limited to cars with a defined package that includes an automatic transmission and the premmium package. If you want a manual transmission and a fold down rear seat, which costs less than the automatic transmission, the lease offer, apparently, doesn't apply. Of course, I understand BMW's position, in three years, a 3-series with an automatic and the premium package, will be more marketable than any other configuration of the car.

It was nice being affluent, but I'll make do and purchase my current 3-series. Unfortunately, since the $500 loyalty rebate was a big part of my rational for maintaining a BMWCCA membership, that expense will probably be eliminated. I'll miss the maintenance and restoration articles in Roundel, but the new model promotion and electronic gadget stuff (which seems to be the bulk of magazine) isn't of great interest to me.

It's been fun.

az3579

There are so many more aspects of the club that you fail to mention. The events, the people; these are things that really make the 'club what it is, not just the cars. I'm on the same boat with you; I don't want to buy a new car because it's so fancy and electronic, really expensive, and 98% of them here are automatics, and believe me: there are many people who feel the same way about this as you do, myself one of them.

But, we stick around because of all of the other things the 'club offers. The events hosted by your local chapters are not only fun, but many times you learn something new. You'll always find someone willing to lend a hand, be it at a concours event or a Driver's School (which is unbelievably fun; try one today and you'll see why it's worth keeping your membership).

I do not work for the 'club, so don't think I'm just "trying to keep you as a customer". All I'm asking is that you reconsider the other positive aspects about staying. Besides, I'd pay $40/yr just for Roundel! All the other stuff to me is a huge bonus.
    • Staff

steven s

+1 :)
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Very well put Botond! And very timely too.... Botond's Connecticut Valley Chapter had their Show and Shine today, and four of us from the Patroon Chapter wandered across two state lines to join them. We felt welcomed, had a great time, and made many new friends.

Thank you for the hospitality, and the very insightful response my friend! Good karma to you.

az3579

And I frequently visit the Patroon Chapter's events, which are ALWAYS 2 hour's drive from where I live. It's THAT fun to be with these guys!

OP,
    Don't you have a cool chapter to hang with? If not, join another one! But, I'm willing to bet that whatever chapter you're in is cool to begin with. :D

Interesting, four replys extolling the merits of retaining a club membership, but none discussing the death of CPO leases.

Perhaps, I should just get over it.

But, it was fun.

JeffNNJ guest

I agree 100% about the CPO leases. I leased both my 1998 328i convertible (my first BMW) and my 2002 M3 as CPOs. I liked paying less per month and not having to worry about selling or trading in the car at the end of the lease. Really is too bad they did away with it. From a sales stand point, I also think that it cost us customers.

JeffNNJ guest

With all due respect to the original poster, BMW leases are calculated on price and not options. Therefore, since automatic transmission in a 3 series is an option, a vehicle with manual will lease out cheaper. If you are referring to the lease deals promoted on BMW USA's website, they're just examples and do not represent any special discount based on inclusion of specific packages.

BMWCCA1

You can still lease a CPO car through BMW FS, though in some cases it may be cheaper on a monthly basis to lease a new one! You can also get financing on CPO cars as cheaply as 0.9% currently, so why lease?