Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

"New" Z4 and forum change

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by Chris Brown, Jun 8, 2009.

Chris Brown

Well my buddy and fellow member found a low miles 03' 2.5 Z4 in maldives blue w/tan leather and the wood trim in St. Louis. With only 30k miles on it, It was very close to what I had been searching for -save the 6 speed and the 3.0 motor (whah), My wife and I flew down from Spokane and picked it up. It is a little short legged on the top but over all I love it, Hey its one less gear to have to shift to-right?
    We had a spirited drive home. After which I did some hard wire mods and removed the front bumper cover and had it painted. The former owner used stationary objects (walls and curbs) as stopping points during parking maneuvers.
    I love the car it has a schosh more leg room then a z3 & is great fun to drive. My only quibble is the steering seems to have minute "sticking" points. This is noticed more on freeway type driving, Anybody have the same occurrence?
    Alas now I have to sell my very very nice e30 convert due to lack of garage space.
    So I will be spending more time with you blokes on this forum.

Happy camping in Spokane

az3579

What? BLASPHEMY!!!! :eek:

Chris Brown

So you understand!, I want to keep both cars But my wife says NO-WAY to giving her side of the garage up once the snow starts flying. I am trying to find a CCA member to take the car and continue where I have left off. A trusted person to love it as much as I have. I have to post an add with national and the puget sound group. I know I will find a good home for it.

cbinspok

devon guest

I too have an '03 2.5i Z4 5spd and I love it! You're right about it having more room than a Z3. My friend has one of those and while I like the "roadsterishness" of the Z3 I feel much more at home in the Z4. While the 2.5 doesn't have the top end of a 3.0 it sure hugs the road (I've got the sports package). I love taking it through all the curvy bits I can find!

granthr

Nice find and car. BUT DON'T SELL THE E30!!!!!!! :eek: I am sure you can talk your wife into keeping it. I am sure insurance is nothing on it. I somehow talked my wife into 4 BMWs and a Dodge Truck! (Its just the two of us!) :D

Just buy one of those car tents to keep the snow off the Z4. The E30's spot is in the garage! :)

Chris Brown

yes-both good cars!

I have auto crossed the Z4 twice now and it is a great car, Yes they are fun in the curvy bits too. I did the "deal" with my wife before I picked up the Z4 as we live in the city and having 3 cars and a dodge Pick up seems like a big carbon foot print (ugh) plus having parking space issues. Hey have any of you had that annoying little problem in the steering? like going down the freeway and the wheel sort of has points where it settles in and kinda sticks a bit? Its hot dangerous as you can use a bit more mussel and get through it but it is annoying. I will give the portable garage idea some thought. I was driving the e30 today-what a great car also!
    Maybe I can trade for your 91' 325ix, then get my wife to sell the Chrysler and you will have a convertible! Then we will be with only 3 vehicles again with a great snow car.

cbinspok

devon guest

I don't have the steering issue you describe. Sounds like something you may want to have checked out.

I didn't realize one could autocross a ragtop. I must do that soon! Do I need to take a class before I can autocross? What safety gear is required? If these questions are answered somewhere else, please point me to the proper forum or FAQ.

Thx.

Chris Brown

autocross is cheap fun

a current hemet, and a fully teched car.
    I can not speak for other groups but there are many convertibles in ASNW the group here in spokane that runs the autocross. I have run the e30 (no roll bar) and that was ok too.

cone killer, cbinspok

granthr

Sorry to hear the E30 has to go. :( I don't think I could trade the 325ix, I like it too much! :) But adding an E30 cabrio some day would be nice. A stationary car does not adversely effect the environment (as long as it is not dripping oil into the ground and has an air tight fuel tank). You can only drive one at a time! :)

330indy1

Chris Brown

I'm not alone

Holy Cow
    I thought it was an odd fluke in my car. Watch out for us Zed4s we are a danger to roadway travelers. I still love it, I guess I will have a chat with our Local dealer and feel them out about the issue. Hey thanks for the direction a little empathy is always nice.
    cbinsopk

birdogger guest

New 2005 Z4 2.5L in Maldives Blue all bells and whistles, except Navigation. Added iPod adapter and it has only 8k miles on it and I got a great deal, especially since it had been garaged the whole time by the original owner.
    Well, to make a long story short, my wife really, really doesn't like it. "It's a Go-Kart" and it's dangerous. I traded in a 1995 740iL that was simply beautiful, but it kept me in the poor house. For example, it had "only" 105,000 miles on it and needed 2 new catalytic converters, rear self-leveling shock, and several other front and rear suspension parts, despite better than perfect maintenance and TLC. Engine oil leaks, lots of electronics issues, like pixels way out, and nearly constant work on seatbelt pre-tensioners and air bag warning lights, ultimately requiring total dash removal and several new steering wheel parts. And, that's just for starters.
    Well, we've put almost 3k miles on the Z4 on trips to the Big Valley and San Diego from our home in Santa Barbara, CA. I'm hoping my wife will adjust and we can enjoy trips up Hwy 1, bed and breakfasts, etc., since we're both retired now. It looks like I blew it for the 1st time in 39 years of making good decisions with the necessary "better half" consulting and otherwise great marriage.
    Ya just might keep following this Thread for my capitulation and listing of this gem for the next unlucky guy.
    Santa Barbara Newbie, a.k.a. Rick J. ;-)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You're in the right place!

Mannnn, Santa Barbaric is perfect for top-down dashes to the Southern California wineries! Perhaps your Most Significant Other feels exposed in the small, open roadster; a car-control clinic and/or an autocross might convince her that she really IS safer when she's an active determiner of outcomes---that is, when she drives the car like she's wearing it, and when she realizes the safety that comes from increased visibility, when she sees that survival is a matter of proactive driving, not sitting in yer 7 Series tank waiting for the inevitable collision---well, then she might come to like the little rat.

I'm serious about the autocross suggestion. Despite two cross-country trips in my roadster, I never felt really comfortable with it until I started autocrossing it here in Sandy Eggo. I believe you have to feel a car slide out from under you a few times to be comfortable knowing how far you can go before that happens. . ..