Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine compartment cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Autohaus, May 30, 2009.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You almost had me there, amigo. . .

Thanks for the link; I went there on your recommendation and was just about to hit the button when I realized that this stuff is $20 a pint-a pint!-and that shipping is another ten bucks. THIRTY DOLLARS TO CLEAN MY ENGINE COMPARTMENT?! Yeah, like that's gonna happen!

I continue to wipe down whatever I can reach. Beyond that, there are limits to my fanaticism.

MGarrison

Whew! That sure is a relief to hear! :p

az3579

I don't buy it for one second!

nweigen

pressure clean engine

Hi, Nicholas,

I would you rethink cleaning the engine compartment with a pressure cleaner, you may be doing more damage than you think. High pressure removes only the solids not the oils.

Cleaning with a citrus type cleaner in a pressure bottle will actually do a better job of not only removing the grease but the greasy residue with out pressure forcing moisture past gaskets and seals. Don't leave the cleaner in the engine compartment to long, try rinsing with warm water and remember only clean a cool engine.

Using high pressure around the engine compartment and the surrounding electronics is like playing Russian Roulette, sooner or latter the round will be in the right chamber and trust me it will cost you.

Norm...