Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The BMW formely named xi

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, May 27, 2009.

Autohaus guest

For MY 2009, the BMW marketing department had a brilliant idea by naming the xi models xDrive and naming sDrive to the new Z4 and other (I think) BMW models. Should I start naming my E28 the slowDrive2.8e and my other stables the 5sDrive2.5i and the 2003 325i xDrive2.5iM54 :confused:. BMW should have just left the names alone. I say we go to our local dealerships and start tearing off those stupid fender emblems :D

BIMMIR guest

I've got 2 of those fender emblems that i tool off my car on day #1. They'd look some nice on your 5 if you want them. :D

Autohaus guest

Can I haz them :)

granthr

At least they come off and are not drilled through the sheet metal! :D

Is this marketing BS just directed at BMW NA customers? Do there refer to these models the same way in Europe?

BIMMIR guest

I don't know if it's just us, or worldwide.
    These emblems came off easy. Hairdryer, dental floss and they fell right off. It left a little black foam residue, which peeled right off with a little more heat.
    Yea, thank goodness no holes. I did this on my 06 mustang GT and there were holes. It was fine, becuase I was replacing the emblems anyway. I didn't like the blocky GT 80's looking tehno letters. I put on the old school tri bar and pony set up.

az3579

Hmm, let's see...

BMW sDrive30is
    Has a nice ring to it, but I'll stick to my 325e bading (which isn't on btw) for now. :rolleyes:

I just came from the dealer (they royally pissed me off by saying the parts I received from them were the parts I ordered, when the page I showed them the part was on didn't contain that part number anywhere) and the 328 "xDrive" sedans outside still were badged 328xi, despite the X-drive badges on the sides behind the fenders. I think they'll keep the xi naming convention on the boot lid, but will stick xDrive badges on the sides. These were MY2009 vehicles.

BIMMIR guest

No kidding, you saw a 2009 with xi on the back and xdrive on the fenders?
    My 209 328i x drive just says 328i on the rear and had the x drive badges. My wife has it at work so I can't see the production date, but I bought it 3-31-09.

lcjhnsn

sDriveOMFGBlown3.2S52 ????? [IMG]

granthr

The ones in my dealers lot don't have an x on the trunk, just xdrive on the fenders. I wonder if your dealer put xdrive badges on the fenders to make them match the newer cars. :confused:

az3579

I don't think they're allowed to do that, only add the "BMW of Bridgeport" badge on it somewhere. I think that if I ever ordered a car from them, first I would tell them to go bite me for screwing me on a $10 part (yes, I'm like that :p) and that if they were to put that BMW of Bridgeport badge on MY new car, I would give them a real piece of my mind.

And unfortunately, it's the only BMW dealer for what I think is about 30 miles from me.

Autohaus guest

Think the next M3 will be called mDrive5.4Ssport?

MGarrison

I wonder if The Artist Formerly Known As Prince would choose one. Speaking of choices... I wonder why it isn't The Artist PREVIOUSLY Known As Prince, or once, or aformentioned as, or The Artist Prince, Of Yore, or aways back, used-to-be, sometime ago, or simply before now? :p

Brian A

I believe he now simply refers to himself as xPrince50is Artist

Autohaus guest

lol. I went ahead and changed my sig to give my older BMW's the &^%&Driveblah blah blah. I'm nutz.

az3579

You've got issues.

Autohaus guest

Don't come running to me when you need to reset your service lights :rolleyes:

az3579

Service lights, eh? Is that the best you can throw at me?

:rolleyes:

BIMMIR guest

"Roads, where we're going, we don't need roads."

Autohaus guest

"Its not how you drive your car, its how you race your car. Remember that."

az3579

"Boy, talk about off topic..."