Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW Utlimate Drive Cancelled?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Autohaus guest

Did BMW suspend the ultimate drive for the cure? They are silent about this on the website and I can't find anything on the Susan B. Komen website about upcoming 2009 events. I assume that many idiots have abused and wrecked many cars and has caused BMW to pull out of this very important fundraising event :(. Can anyone verify this?

CRKrieger

Verify that it's stopped or verify your rash assumption? :confused:

FWIW, BMW is hemorrhaging money just like every other manufacturer these days. Their stock price has been down about 30% in the not too recent past. Given their F1 performance so far, I would not be surprised to see them withdraw from that next year (assuming they manage to finish the season with two cars - since Kubica just grenaded the second of his eight allotted engines at Monaco today). BMW is not the only charitable giver to cut back on donations at this time.
    • Staff

steven s

Yes they did.

lcjhnsn

It was announced in the March Roundel. Due to several other copy cat events in recent years BMW decided they weren't getting the bang for the buck anymore. So they decided to curtail their participation in the Drive for the Cure.

Very unfortunate!!! That's a >$1M loss to the Komen foundation and I've loved the opportunity to sample all the new Bimmers for the past 10 years without the sales pressure.

I will add my personal observation over the 10 years that I've been participating in this event, the apparent abuse to the fleet of cars definitely increased over the years. Last year they made the questionable decision to include an M3 line up and in talking with the guys who take care of the cars, I learned that it went through 2 transmissions and 4 clutches over the course of the summer.

Autohaus guest

You again:rolleyes: You always have kind words to say. You should be in my top five. Heck, come on over to my house this Sunday and take all the beer :D

I read shortly after posting that BMW cancelled for the 2009 season only and that it should be back on for twenty ten.

CRKrieger

I only abuse guys who can take it - like E28 owners. ;)
    Is it good beer? Is the door unlocked? :D I'm definitely not goin' to a lot of bother to swipe a lousy case of Busch ...

Autohaus guest

My family loves Coors Light.

Lets vent!

az3579

:rolleyes:

E28 owners... sheesh. :p

Autohaus guest

Hater. You told me that the E28 was beginning to grow on you.

az3579

It was, 'till I started autocrossing my E30!
    Though I have to admit, if you were to, say, "loan" it to me while I had an S50 put in, I would still be happy despite being auto.....

But that is an "if" scenario. :D

Autohaus guest

Off Topic

Off Topic :mad:

CRKrieger

... and that'll last until you get your butt kicked by a 535. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.