Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2001 Premium & Cold Weather Options

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by EvaUnit02, May 19, 2009.

EvaUnit02

I have a 2001 330xi with the premium and cold weather options. However, there seems to be a couple of options that are either missing or turned off.

First, the rain sensing wipers. I (thought I) following the owner's manual on how to turn on the rain sensing wipers but they don't seem to work. How exactly can I check to make sure they're on? Is there some way to disable them which means I would have to re-enable them somehow?

Second, the headlight washers. How can I tell if they're installed and working?

BMW also has on file that a previous owner repaired the parking sensor but I can't tell if it's installed. I don't hear anything when I back up.

crap4acar guest

I am very interested in your post. I have a 01 325XI that is currently being delivered. I will stay tuned to see what you find out.

eam3

The rain sensing wipers are pretty easy to test. Drive in a light rain (or use a hose to spray the windshield) and move the wiper lever up one notch. It should adjust speed automatically based on speed and amount of water hitting the windshield. At least that's how my 330's work.

As for the headlight washers, look for a slight cutout underneath the headlights (see attached picture). Ask someone to turn the headlights on and then use the windshield washer to spray the windshield, the headlight washers should pop out (they're pressure driven) and squirt the headlights.

EvaUnit02

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them shortly. If I move the wiper level up a notch when it's not raining, will they still wipe?

eam3

I don't think so. At least in my car, moving it up a notch (or pushing in the button at the end of the stalk on the 5 series), simply activates the rain sensor.

CSBM5

I think they will wipe once and then wait for rain to be sensed.

shanneba

To activate the rain sensor:
    >With the ignition key in position 1
    or 2, move the lever to position 1.
    The wipers will make at least one
    sweep across the windshield.
    You can leave the lever in position 1
    at all times. With the ignition key in
    position 1 or 2, all you then need to
    do to activate the rain sensor is to:
    >briefly turn rotary dial 5, or
    >clean windshield 1