Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Looking for Lifetime Transmission Fluid for E66

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by petegammon, May 19, 2009.

petegammon guest

I want to change the transmission fluid on my 04 745Li with 75k miles and am looking for a lower cost alternative than the BMW fluid which is $65 per liter at the dealer. At this price, I'm looking at over $500. just for Trans. fluid and I'd like to save some cost if possible. I checked with bavauto but they don't carry the fluid. Thanks for your help.

bigthistle guest

Try Redline D4 ATF

Not sure on pricing, but that's what's going in my trans shortly!

redlineoil.com

Excellent engine oil too.

John in VA

I agonized over changing the ATF in our E46 at 60K miles. It calls for a Texaco product for this GM tranny. I checked with several reputable independent shops and ended up doing the BG fluid flush/transfusion. The BG fluid was compatible with my original fluid as show on their tech specs, and the service ran ~$225 with the club discount. Perhaps this could work for your transmission.

brianh guest

Castrol Import multi vehicle transmission fluid meets the specs for 7 series.
    I changed mine out about a year ago with this fluid and its perfect.

bcweir

Just to clarify something

The 745Li uses an N62 V8 engine. This car does not share powertrains with E46 3-series, and the E46 never had a production V8 drivetrain in any model. The E66 745Li used a 6-speed automatic ZF GA6HP26Z. This transmission was not used in any E46 3-series model.

Additionally, the following link outlines that any transmission fluid that goes into this transmission MUST be compatible with Shell M1375.4 transmission fluid. If you're going to go with a transmission fluid other than Shell M1375.4, make extra sure the label says its compatible.

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/transfund1.pdf

If you think $500 for transmission fluid is expensive -- wait for it -- you obviously haven't priced the cost of a new transmission.. priced at:

01 Rmfd automatic transmission EH GA6HP26Z 1 09/2003 24007531245 $5,876.67 +core

And, no that price is not a typo.

I did find this link for you, and it may offer you some encouraging news. Please read it.

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jaguar/jaguar_s_type/9334635-1.html

John in VA

Only $4,879.67 plus $500.00 core charge from Tischer! ;)
    MSRP is $6,099.59 now.

shanneba