Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

If your not sure about trying autocross???

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Wanderlustbob, May 18, 2009.

az3579

OK, what are you talking about? Could you please elaborate?

conechaser

Too bad you've had such a "crappy" time. I've been in the SCCA since 1986 and have never really had that experience. (well, once at worker party at Belle Isle for the Detroit GP) But then I don't have to deal much with the "professional racing series" that run at RA or the some of the big regions up that way either.

I've been active in most every aspect of SCCA at one time or another. TSD rally as both a driver and navigator, Solo driver and instructor, Race worker (Senior T&S and Divisional F&C), National competition driver (Runoffs both years I ran a National class) and instructor, and now a National RallyX champion.

edit:
    I just re-read your other post about getting "sucked into racing" I don't know about you, but I still get exited and look forward to working races even after 20 years. Maybe it's a tech thing as I know a number of tech people who sure grumble a lot. I guess if I went to the races and was stuck in the tech shed all weekend and not see any cars/bike racing I'd be grumpy as well.

CRKrieger

[Q*OT*=*on**has**;26032]Too bad yo*'v* had s**h a "**appy" tim*. I'v* b**n in th* S**A sin** 1986 and hav* n*v** **ally had that *xp**i*n**. (w*ll, on** at wo**** pa*ty at B*ll* Isl* *o* th* D*t*oit GP) B*t th*n I don't hav* to d*al m**h with th* "p*o**ssional *a*ing s**i*s" that **n at *A o* th* som* o* th* big **gions *p that way *ith**. [/q*ot*]
    That's mostly it. Th*** is *a* too m**h a**ogan** in th* p*o s**i*s. Th*y *ith** *o*got how th*y got wh*** th*y a** o* th*y simply bo*ght th*i* way in and n*v** *n*w in th* *i*st pla**. Th*** *an also b* too m**h a**ogan** in **gional politi*s and administ*ation. I *am* **om highly-politi*iz*d N*Ohio to mod**at* Milwa**** and I wo***d as o*t*n as not with *hi*ago **gion. Th*n, th***'s divisional politi*s I don't want to tal* abo*t ...
    [q*ot*]I'v* b**n a*tiv* in most *v**y asp**t o* S**A at on* tim* o* anoth**. TSD *ally as both a d*iv** and navigato*, Solo d*iv** and inst***to*, *a** wo**** (S*nio* T&S and Divisional *&*), National *omp*tition d*iv** (**no**s both y*a*s I *an a National *l***) and inst***to*, and now a National *allyX *hampion.[/q*ot*]
    B**n th***; don* most o* that. *ally, solo, wo**ing. Q*ali*i*d *o* divisional and national li**ns*s most o* th* tim* I was in, b*t *o*ldn't b* both***d with all th* BS (**m*mb** to b*ing yo** wo**** *a*d, g*t it sign*d, ma** *opi*s, mail th*m o** to God-only-*nows-who-it-is-this-y*a*) to g*t th*m. *inally d**id*d to hav* anoth** li** on s*mm** w****nds. I still li** wo**ing vintag* *v*nts, and th* loos* ***o*iation o* vintag* t**h *ol*s in*l*d*s m*. I don't hav* to ***l *v*n slightly g*ilty abo*t wo**ing SV*A at *A wh*n th***'s *l*b *a*ing at Bla**haw*. Th* vintag* *omp*tito*s a** m**h mo** **lax*d and app***iativ*; **l*s a** mo** li** g*id*lin*s; w* mostly j*st want it to b* sa**.
    [q*ot*]*dit:
    I j*st **-**ad yo** oth** post abo*t g*tting "s****d into *a*ing" I don't *now abo*t yo*, b*t I still g*t *xit*d and loo* *o*wa*d to wo**ing *a**s *v*n a*t** 20 y*a*s. Mayb* it's a t**h thing as I *now a n*mb** o* t**h p*opl* who s*** g**mbl* a lot. I g**ss i* I w*nt to th* *a**s and was st*** in th* t**h sh*d all w****nd and not s** any *a*s/bi** *a*ing I'd b* g**mpy as w*ll.[/Q*OT*]
    Yo* mis*nd**stand. I *s* that t**m in th* s*ns* that B.S. L*vy's "Th* Last Op*n *oad" is abo*t B*ddy Pal*mbo g*tting s****d into *a*ing. It's not a bad thing; it's a *o*** o* nat*** to thos* o* *s who a** p**dispos*d towa*d this diso*d**. At *A, w* hav* a lov*ly vi*w o* T**n *iv* **om th* doo* o* t**h. That, and w* g*t to *oam a*o*nd q*it* a lot wh*n w*'** **asonably sta***d. I n*a*ly always got to s** all th* *a*ing I want*d to s** **om anywh***. *a*h sp**ialty has its advantag*s and its d*awba**s. I li** t**h. It is not t**h wo****s who g*t **ap; it's all S**A wo****s, as not*d abov*. That said, I do not dis*o**ag* anyon* **om joining. On th* *ont*a*y, I *n*o**ag* it, b*t with a to**h o* **ality as I'v* s**n it.

MGarrison

ack - wth happened there? May-ombu dogface in the banana patch?? You on a unix system or sumtin, CR? I could decipher some, but not all of it... you'll have to fill in the rest...

Brian A

Y*u c**ld *ct**lly D*C*D* wh*t h* s**d?!!???! W*W!!!

MGarrison

Probably looks harder than it actually is, just had to think about it a bit - just figured out the word in the first reply section is "either"...

CRKrieger

Apologies, I guess

I am no less stunned than you are, gentlemen.

When I posted that unintelligible mess, the entire site went that way on my screen. I logged out and shut down and didn't get a chance to revisit the site. It seems OK now. I have no idea what happened, though.

I was telling someone that I didn't really hate SCCA and that "getting sucked into racing" is not a bad thing but rather just a characterization of a good thing.

MGarrison

Actually, in my spare time, I live inside CR's computer. But, shhhh, don't tell him - and actually, I'm not in there that much - can only take so much of lookin' @ CR's mugg from the inside of his screen! :D

Ok now that you're back, you can fill in the words I couldn't figure out for the life of me....

...vintage tech *ol*s in*l*d*s = ??? moles? what?

it's a *o*** of nature = ??

...w*'** reasonably sta***d. = ?? I have to guess that's 'we're reasonably'... something

I n*a*ly always = ? ah, wait.. that's 'nearly always'

CRKrieger

... vintage tech folks includes me
    it's a force of nature
    ... we're reasonably staffed.
    Yup. Heck, even I don't think what I write is worth that much effort. :eek:

BTW, if you guys haven't read The Last Open Road and its sequels that tell the story of 19-year-old Jersey garage mechanic Buddy Palumbo getting sucked into road racing in the early 1950s, you need to go out and find them NOW! Worst case, catch Burt Levy somewhere at a vintage race event in the Midwest (he's based in Chicago) and get yourself autographed copies. You will thank me.