Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Clutch Job

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by CaptBudMan, May 17, 2009.

CaptBudMan guest

Just got the sticker shock from BMW to do a clutch job on our 98 M3.
    At 160,000 miles and a singing throwout bearing I figure it's time.
    Have done GM and Toyota clutchs before and the Bentley manual seems fairly straight forward so this just became a DIY job.
    Does anyone know of any resources better than Bentley for job instructions.
    Or any tricks, tips or gotchas?
    Thanks
    Bud Anderson

octavio guest

Pelican parts, www.pelicanparts.com, has a complete tutorial with
    photos and all the hard bolts to remove (starter etc.) and all the tools
    required, torx bolt size and etc.,best step by step I know!!
    Octavio

CaptBudMan guest

Octavio
    Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I needed to get a hold of to confirm what I saw under the car today.
    Projects on hold till I can digest all this stuff. But it will proceed !!!
    Thanks
    Bud

kfin2202

Bud, there is also some good clutch information on the UUC website. You may want to consider their lightened flywheel while your at it. They also seem to have the best price I've seen on the E34 M5 clutch parts used with the lightweight flywheel when purchases as a package.

Good luck. Ken

LukeBarone guest

Hey new member here. I was just wondering what the throwout bearing going bad sounds like. Ive got a ticking noise coming from under my car from the trans/Clutch area and i was wondering what it could be. Thanks for any help.
    Luke

octavio guest

A bad throwout bearing has a "high pitch "noise, if the bearing is "in the way out" you will have also a pulsating clutch pedal, any noises when engaging the clutch, will eventually
    end up requiring a new clutch, makes no sense to remove the trasmission just to replace
    the bearing!, if you do not have one, the best two books on the 3 series are the "Bentley",
    and Wayne Dempsey " 101 performance Projects for your 3 series BMW", both at
    www.pelicanparts.com.
    Hope this helps:
    Octavio