Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New BMW auto owner

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by b4udoo, May 5, 2009.

b4udoo guest

Hello everyone, I have finally "graduated" to four wheeled BMW living by purchasing a 2001 Z3 3.0. I have been on BMW bikes for about 25 years, and ridden them over 230k miles. It all started when I was 18 years old and a local Honda dealer took on the BMW motorcycle line in 1977. In the front window sat an R100RS and I told myself that at some point I was going to own one of those (the first full faired bike with space age styling) really cool looking motorcycles. About 6 years later I bought my first of 9 BMW bikes, an R80RT. Over the years I have had in my 2 wheel stable the following:
    84 R80RT
    78 R100RS tricked motor and the best running air head twin I've ever ridden on
    85 K100RT 90hp big difference over 2cyl power
    90 R100GS Paris Dakar
    97 R1100RT ABS and good handling
    04 R1150RT slightly better
    05 R1200RT 110hp and great handling w/bells and whistles
    98 R1200C mine but ridden by the girlfriend most of the time
    07 K1200GT 152hp the way to get there in comfort and in not much time/ I call it the 2 wheel equivelent to a M6 coupe
    88 R100RS nice minty older bike to play with on Sunday now and then
    The day BMW anounced the Z3 and I saw pics of the car I thought I ought to buy one but was opposed to convertibles for the most part, lets face it, convertibles are not the most practicle, require garage space and when you have several bikes and cars anyway, somethings not going to fit in so, had to wait, figured at some point I would find a nice car when the time was right and it all came together about 3 weeks ago when a friend told me about the perfect situation, 1 owner car LOW miles (36k), garaged, service history and owned by a retired couple, the car is immaculate, I was lucky to find the right car only 60 miles from home(I am in SE Missouri and 100 miles from St Louis) I have gone substantial distances to buy nice vehicles in the past. I have changed out all the fluids, brakes and everything else looks good. Since I've been on a bike many times in the Smoky Mountains, the Z is going in 2 weeks for my first convertible experience of a part of the USA I truly love. Cars and motorcycles, racing cars and motorcyles and things that go fast has always been an interest of mine. I have attended races at a number of the major circuits featuring Indy Car,IRL,NASCAR, AMA, Moto GP, F1, SCCA,you get the picture.Great to be here, I am also a life member of BMWMOA, maybe in a few years at retirement, I'll see you at a rally, or BMWCCA meet of some type, Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations concerning my car going forward in terms of preventitve etc. service?, I have been doing some research on my own and reading the forums. It's great to be on board, THANKS KARL

CRKrieger

Wilkommen! I know you'll like the Z3. It's a hoot to drive. Do us a favor and fill out your profile so we know where you are.

I am kind of your BMW polar opposite. I've been a BMW 4-wheeler for 25 years and 'just' (July of 2007) got my first BMW bike - a '78 R100RS Motorsport (Euro-spec) - and joined MOA. 4-wheelers include a couple of 2002s, a Bavaria, and five E28s. In the MOA forums, I am cleverly known by my car model - "535is", but you'll see my name in my sig. Obviously, I can't resist posting pics of my bike every chance I get ...

[IMG]

b4udoo guest

Looking Good

You made good purchase in the motosport RS- should keep climbing in value. Thanks for the come back appreciate it, by the way, I have my 07 K1200GT up for sale at this time if you know of someone looking for a sport tourer, I am in SE Missouri.

Wanderlustbob guest

Welcome to the club! There are a lot of nice people here and I'm sure you will get good information on your car. Look to post with your local club as well and maybe do an autocross or one of their get togethers. I am pretty new to BMW all together and have found it to be much more then I would have ever imagined.

CRKrieger

Dude, you haven't even spent a week of evenings drinking with us yet! Think Oktoberfest. ;)

Wanderlustbob guest

I am so looking forward to it.

I really had no idea how fun the club would be after buying the new car. This is the forth new car out of five cars in my life and I have not enjoyed one as much as I have this one and more importantly the club.

I think its a shame if someone gets a BMW and doesnt take advantage of the social group. Even just the good information here is enough to make it worth the cost.

b4udoo guest

Ooooh yeah?

Dearest Wanderlust and Krieger, when it comes to throwing down the "barley pops", on the good days, (not at work) myself and several of my low life buddies are kind of like the Army or whatever branch advertised it some years ago, that is: WE DRINK MORE BY 9AM THAN MOST FOLKS DRINK ALL DAY, and with that having been said, here's to ya Ed McMahon. Follow a balanced diet, consume balanced portions of the four main food groups: BBQ pork, BBQ beef, BBQ chicken and Budweiser.

CRKrieger

It wasn't intended to be a challenge. I outgrew that 'quantitative drinking' crap more than half a lifetime ago. Now, if it isn't good beer, I'd rather have a Diet Coke ...:cool:

drummerfc

Budweiser??? :confused: BLECH...

Not to reopen the whole beer thread/thingy again but there's SOOOOO much better beer out there than Dudweiser. Come on, man!

:p

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the asylum!

So, a roadster lover, eh?

Be careful: If I didn't still owe Thirty Large for my M roadster, I would be in even DEEPER debt for the new Z4. (Story coming in the June Roundel.) Holy Schamoley! What a package!

Hey, Krieger: You gonna bring that white scooter to O'Fest again? Gonna let Jenny Morgan DROP the damn thing again?! :eek:

CRKrieger

Yes (but not this year) and no. ;)

BimmerZ guest

I'd say you probably know a thing or 2 about Beemers :D