Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E28 535isM and euro front spoiler

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Apr 29, 2009.

Autohaus guest

This Saturday I might be looking at a 88 535isM and a euro front spoiler from the same seller. The E28 was hit from behind but the owner said it runs and drives, however, there is a slight vibration from the driveshaft/diff. As you can see from the pics, both 1/4 panels are damaged as well as the trunk and rear bumper. The front bumper looks to be in great shape. Thoughts? If I were to get the E28 I can fix it up or use everything and swap it to my e28. The 535is is rust free. I plan to test drive this thing to see how it holds up.

Autohaus guest

pic of euro front bumper

az3579

Saturday morning now, eh? Well, being temporarily unemployed starting at 17:00 today, I can go see it with ya if you want. :D

granthr

Looks like it will need work, but might be worth it if the price is right. From what I can see in the pics, it is a US 535is with a rear euro bumper, not a euro. Just be sure you know what you are looking at. The silver on red is a classic German color combination! Too bad it was hit. Could be a great car.

Autohaus guest

I know its a usa spec E28. He is asking $850/neg for the car and $475/neg for the front bumper. This car is located in Queens, however, I am concerned because of this Swine Flu going around in NYC. 51 confirmed cases and counting. Also, to add insult to injury, I'm selling my standard front seats to a guy in BK Saturday as well (dropping them off to him) so it could be a double whammy :(. I just hijacked my own thread :rolleyes:

granthr

I wouldn't worry about the flu, how many million live there, chances are pretty slim, besides I don't think there have been any human to human transfer of the swine flu in the states yet.

You are selling your standard seats, so does that leave your E28 with no front seats? If so, buy the 535is. $850 would be enough just for the interior, so you could easily part this car out and recoup your cost (assuming you don't repair it).

CRKrieger

OK; the 535is is not an M. This one has some M Tupperware on it, but that's about all. It also has tacked-on armrests from some comfort seats. The 'is had none.

You could spend $2000 getting that butt fixed and not come up short. However, if that rear skirt is not fixable, you definitely don't need the front one. If you have to throw it out and use a stock US bumper, you'd still come out ahead. Looking at that photo closer, though, I think this one is beyond saving.

OTOH, if you buy that thing and start swapping parts, you'd better not stop until you're down to an empty body shell. Yank the interior and drivetrain and use it, too. No sense throwin' away a perfectly good 535is engine and 5-speed when you're left with an eta (with a slushbox, no less). The front airdam and rear spoiler will both bolt onto your eta. Keep or sell the side skirts. Looks like he might have some decent suspension parts in there, too. Well worth the pulling, even if you have to drag the carcass onto a trailer to get rid of it.

az3579

Well, I don't think he's too interested in saving it, but instead using it as a beater (I know he hates that word :D)...
    In which case, it makes a good beater. Honestly, the seats wouldn't match his bronzit 528e in any way, and to repaint all the body parts that he would otherwise swap? Nah. Only the mechanical stuff should be swapped, IMO, and everything else sold IF he doesn't want to use the car as-is.

Brian A

You really have to love doing this stuff to contemplate such complex and intensive work. It takes a lot of time and money to turn a junker into a beauty and that money is never recouped. The reason why people do it is because they love the process of restoration: tinkering, thinking, planning, wrenching, scrounging etc. It can be a huge amount of fun.

On the other side of the coin, conventional wisdom says that if you are just after a nice car, you should buy a car that has already been fully fixed up. There are lots to be had from the tinkerers who have moved on to other projects.

Autohaus guest

No, I'm selling my standard seats from my E39 because B and I installed sport seats in it.

I said 535isM meaning the M as a manual :). If spending $2K to make this car back to looking like a 8 or a 9 then I think its well worth it.
    B do me a favor; sell your S50 to fund the rebuild process of this car!
    I will probably decide what to do after I see/test drive this E28.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That is a critical hit. It is a parts car. It would cost more than a non-trashed 535is to get it looking and driving like a 6. The parts on that car that are worth swapping to yours are the seats and the motor/trans, but the driveshaft is probably in need of rebuilding and the rear subframe is suspect from a hit like that (getting the diff will be hard.)

mooseheadm5

I thought he already sold that front bumper on mye28. Must not have due to the price.

Autohaus guest

Well I will check it out and drive it. Gun to my head I probably won't buy it but I'll be in the area since I am dropping off my seats in BK. The front spoiler may be a no go. See my other thread, bringing her back from the dead!

az3579

Okay, listen to me very closely and listen to me good:
    If you want me to talk to you at all, you will drop that stupid notion that I will sell my S50 for or to you! Otherwise, I will put on you on my block list, so DECIDE!. :rolleyes:

Autohaus guest

lol. I'm starting to lose interest in this car. Maybe you guys are right. Too much $$$$ to make it decent :(

mooseheadm5

Shouldn't have stood Boomer up, though. If you decide to fix your rusty eta, this would be a good parts car, but you cannot put this on the road.

Autohaus guest

I called him up and left him a VM telling him that I found a deal near me with the front and rear euro spoilers and that I am no longer interested in the 535is. I change my mind too much about these cars. You and B must think I'm freakin nuts.

az3579

That's because you ARE freakin' nuts.

One more mind-change and I will make up your mind for you, so choose wisely.

mooseheadm5

Pot calling kettle black...

Autohaus guest

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill :rolleyes:

lol wut