Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Decision: Best BMW for an 18 year old

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by jhietter, Apr 24, 2009.

jhietter

Hey everyone! Thanks for all of the input on what car to get. I know it is quite a while after my original post but with school so busy I haven't had time to worry about getting a new car. However, now I am revisiting getting a new car and I am pretty sure that I have decided on an e46 m3.
    I read the first several pages of my original thread, until it started going way off topic, and took your suggestions into consideration. I know many think that no one under 30 should have a car with any more hp than a moped but I respectfully disagree. I am not the stereotypical wild college teen. I am very responsible and always drive safely on public roads. I know that going a little bit over the edge on the street is never worth the possible risks I'd be taking. I believe that if I want to take the car to the edge, then I will wait until I am in a controlled environment with an instructor.
    That said, I am looking for an e46 m3 with the competition package and hope to get one in the next couple months. Now I am only debating between stick and smg. I don't want people to go off battling over the two. I have read many opinions about both and believe I just need to try both for myself.

Thanks again for all the input. It is really cool to have a community of fellow bmw enthusiasts that have so much to share! Hopefully I can report back soon on a purchase and become more active in the club!
    • Staff

steven s

Many people have told me that a 330 ZHP is more bang for the buck than the M3.
    But if your heart is set. . .

I have driven an SMG for only a short time.
    I still like that extra pedal while one is still available.

I don't buy the naysayers who think sticks are horrible in traffic.
    I dealt with the Capital Beltway for years. I never regretted having the stick.

I recall people complaining about the early SMGs which I think was corrected with software updates.

granthr

Welcome back!!!! Wow, I am impressed you actually read our ramblings! :D 5-speed vs SMG is a personal decision. So I think it is a great idea to try both and see what you like. I of course vote for a 5-speed.

I think some of the advice about you getting a low horsepower car is based on the personal experience of what some of us did at your age. I certainly know I got myself in trouble enough times and my car at the time didn't have much hp.

So E46 M3 is a great choice. My only suggestion is take a driving school or two. No better way to improve the drive then to improve yourself. :cool:

az3579

Ok, first, YOUR OLD THREAD WAS EPIC!!! Perhaps a couple of pages of substance, and then something never before seen (or never seen again for that matter) on the CCA forums; MAYHEM!

Second, Grant, the E46 M3 has a 6-speed...

Third, the 6-speed vs. SMG debate is something you'll have to drive each of to make a decision on. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the SMG and go straight for the 6-speed, for two major reasons: 1) 6-speed is more FUN! and 2) there is a lot less to go wrong with the transmission. SMG being an advanced transmission controlled by electronics, I would be very cautious to approach it. We all know that older Bimmers have electrical problems, be it minor or major, and I would HATE to have to replace a transmission because of some stupid electrical problem. But, these cars are still too new to know how they'll behave down the road, so once again, it's entirely up to you.

+1 for standing up for us below 30 having more powerful cars! Having more power I think is actually a safety feature, provided you use the power properly. Accelerate to avoid someone smashing into you when changing lanes isn't possible, or having to make a left turn quickly because of not being able to properly see oncoming traffic [perhaps blocked by another lane of traffic turning left]? Right on. Decision to only use power for fun on the track? Best decision.

I am extremely jealous of you getting an E46 M3. I wish I had that kind of money, but if you do get it, please do me a favor and ENJOY IT for those of us who can't afford one. :D

BIMMIR guest

I say if you can afford it, good for you! You may be young, but you are clearly an automobile enthuesist, not just someone (young or old) who won't appreciate the car.
    I'd much rather drive with you around me in an M3 than someone in a minivan on the damn cell phone.

granthr

Thanks Botond :D I do know that the E46 M3 has a 6-speed, I just wasn't thinking. I was focusing on SMG vs Manual. :D
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It'll all end in tears, I know it.

(don't feed the bears)

granthr

Paul, looks like you are doing some reorganizing to the fleet. Why are you unloading the 327i? Do tell about the 500 whp 535is! :D

I think this topic just automatically takes us off topic! :cool:
    • Staff

steven s

At least we made it through 7 posts. :D

az3579

*ahem* Back on topic, and don't you dare change it!

OP, when are you getting your M3?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Uh-oh

What was the topic again?

MGarrison

fuggedaboudit, O.T. is uber 1337! btw, wb OP & thx 4 the upd8, now we can finally sleep @ nite! :D

mooseheadm5

I refuse to participate in draggin it OT. I will start an M5 resurrection thread with pics later.

OP:
    Remember, the engine WILL grenade at 8300 RPM, so make sure you don't money shift it. I highly recommend the street survival course and taking the car to a driving school (track school) to hone your senses and driving abilities under controlled conditions. It will make you a better driver, plus you get to see what the car can do without getting a ticket (feeding the bears.) Pics please!

granthr

Very honorable of you Paul to stay on topic. :) I will look forward to your thread.

FYI OP the money shift is pulling it into 2nd gear when you were going for 4th, it mechanically over revs the engines, nothing the ECU can do about it. Not a pretty sight at all. We had a chapter meeting at VAC Motorsports a few weeks ago, and there were a couple money shifted engines there with the heads off. The top of the pistons looked like swiss cheese.

mooseheadm5

Don't forget about the 4-3 hsift instead of the 4-5 shift.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Which shift is horribler?

The Head Moose say:

Well, the distance between fourth and third, while surprising, may be survivable; when you downshift from fifth to second, aiming for fourth, the surprise may be catastrophic.

I seem to have adopted a clutch-foot technique that's a bit tenuous; if I feel the revs rising faster than they should on a rev-matched downshift, I put my clutch foot down again while I fiddle with the lever to make sure I have the right gate.

Them suckers is NARROW, Jack! And since I have come closer than I like to this disaster on more than one occasion even though I am The Best Downshifter In The World, I know it can't be an uncommon mistake.

mooseheadm5

It is usually not survivable, since the money shift normally occurs when shifting near redline in a hurry. In fact a guy on r3v just bought an S50 that the owner did exactly that on.

jhietter

After all of this, I am sticking with the 540i 6 speed for now. It is more than enough car and will be good practice to step up to the m3. With the economy not doing too well, I don't want to take the hit to my savings at the bottom. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Hopefully things will turn around soon so I can actively pursue getting a car again.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

W H A T ?!

You have a 540i six-speed and you WANT SOMETHING ELSE?! Mannn, I know people who consider that sweet ride the absolutely most wonderful BMW ever!

Of course, they haven't driven the new Z4. . .

:p

az3579

Once again, I soooo envy you. I dearly miss my brother's 540i 6-speed.... :(