Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

increaes hp?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by ppimpinella, Mar 25, 2008.

ppimpinella guest

Well, just purchased my first BMW. I must say, even though its only a used 2005 325xi 27K mileage, I'm hooked for life. The interior is like a cockpit and the sound of the engine is beautiful. That said, is there any way to add additional horsepower, inexpensively? It has the premium and cold weather packages. Anything else anyone can suggest?

330indy1

please qualify 'inexpensively'?

Dinan upgrades or a combination from others such as Conforti /Turner will run you into the thousands of dollars before you really feel a power improvement, and it will not be dramatic. Then there are the upgrades from Active Autowerks for example with forced induction. Big bucks.

In general the forums suggest that if you really want more power save your money for an M car down the road. (or a twin turbo 3.0 liter based car).

opinions vary ;)

snikwad guest

bad news for you. besides forced induction, there isnt that much you can do to get power from the 2.5 as far as bolt ons.

chip tuning/reflash, intake - cause it sounds wicked on the straight 6, and pulleys are what i recommend. some guys change the diff, to a higher, number, lower geared diff, and that puts a lil pep in the step.

rcryder325 guest

Get a Conforti Shark Injector (flashes your computer and reworks just about everything $300-350), and an Intake with a heat shield (not a plastic composite heat shield they don't work). Thats a good starting point, this will make your car respond ALOT better, but not the type of HP increase you would get with say a supercharger or turbo.
    From there you can go any direction. I would put an exhaust on next just to get air flowing right, and you can add under drive pulleys to add another small amount of power.
    These are all relatively inexpensive. Dinan is for most people of their price range and by the time youve spent a grand or two you will have just as much HP with what i just told you to do, which will run you under a grand.
    Thats just my opinion and I'm sure people have other great ways of getting HP up

Of course if you have a couple grand in the bank to spare go forced induction and get and Active Autowerke supercharger!!! great products, check them out... www.activeautowerke.com

ppimpinella guest

Thanks for the info. With respect to the Conforti Shark Injector, should I have the dealer install it, or should I go to a non-dealer shop that repairs BMWs?

ppimpinella guest

Sorry. Forgot to ask where I get an "Intake with a heat shield". I not very car savvy.

snikwad guest

d them yourself. theyre totally not worth paying someone to do.

ppimpinella guest

Considering that I have no experience with cars, aside from regular maintenance, are you telling me that its easy to update my computer with the conforti shark injector? is it easily accessible? What about the intake with heat shield? I found it on electrodyne website, but there only appear to be composite shields that come with it. Sorry for all the questions but I'm starting to get into these upgrades, however minor.

rcryder325 guest

its really easy, the injector comes with instructions...
    you plug it into a socket under your steering wheel, it shows you where in the instructions.
    then you turn the ignition so the powers on i think then press a button and wait.
    its all in the directions. its easier than washing your car.

rcryder325 guest

ppimpinella guest

Thank you for the information. You have been very patient and helpful. One last question, when I get the shark and intake system installed, will I have to use 91 or 93 octane? The dealership said I can use regular unleaded but I have been using premium. From what I've read, and when I install both upgrades, it appears I will have to use premium from then on. Is this correct?

I found the intake and heat shield at the below address:

http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=e46tun

"BMW cold air intake, BMW 325i E46 2000-05 with real carbon fiber intregal heat shield
    List Price: 339.50 Your Price: 322.52 "

rcryder325 guest

i wouldn't buy that one personally, the heat shield doesn't work, i bought that one and subsequently returned it because it didn't work very well,
    your best bet is it get this one....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...008QQitemZ180233491181QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
    and just buy an filter separate. like a k&n cone filter (3inch) then just using that
    it costs about $200 less and works much better, the seal on racing dynamics doesnt seal with the hood very well and the carbon fiber doesnt block out enough heat....i bought a plastic one from them, didnt work, returned it, bought a carbon fiber one from them, didn't work returned it (plus i was not happy with spending that much money).

yes you will have to use 91 octane or better from now on.

rcryder325 guest

[IMG][/IMG

this is my set up, you can see how much better it will seal with the hood using the bigger foam seals, as opposed to racing dynamics which doesnt fit flush and lets air over the top.

thats just my opinion though, do what you want. I just personally find $300+ for something that doesn't work very well a waste of money. the system i suggest is the same set up (the racing dynamics is just a shield and a cone filter nothing else, as is my set up).

I just realized it might seem like I am the one selling this on ebay by the way ive promoted it, but i assure you i have no connection with the manufacture or seller of this item, just a very happy customer.

330indy1

does this put undue pressure on the hood's driver side?

rcryder325 guest

nope, very soft foam, hood does not bulge, the only part touching is the foam, not the actual upper rim of the shield. i've had it on for quite a while now with no damage. the angle of the picture makes it look like it sits higher than it does.

ppimpinella guest

Thanks for all your help.

330indy1

you should go with 93 octane....
    otherwise you wasted your $$$ on airflow mods.

Tier 1 = Shell V-Power 93

or BP Amoco Ultimate 93

either are great, if these are available to you....

rcryder325 guest

well if its a waste of $$ on airflow mods, then thats saying anyone in CA shouldn't buy airflow mods, which is definitely not true...
    i wish i had the choice of buying 93. but i live in Commiefornia and can't get anything higher than 91, but i don't feel i wasted my money, the mods work perfect and i definitely have an increase in power and response.

330indy1

oops sorry. didn't mean to bum you out. 91 obviously is a minimum and works fine. As Dinan, for example says on their site.

rcryder325 guest

haha its all good. i wish i had 93, it would definitely give it a little more umph that it already gave it.