Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Video Camera Mount

Discussion in 'Driving Schools' started by ltir, Mar 24, 2008.

ltir guest

In preparation for an upcoming track event; I'd like to install a video camera mount in my car (I don't have a roll cage). Has anyone had success (or failure) with any of the commercially available mounts? Thanks.

-Russ

suss1173

camera mount

I have the same issue, I do not have a cage in my car, but would like to mount a camera someplace. If you have had any good feedback or come up with a solution, please share.

Thanks,

Michael S.

az3579

I got the Griot's Garage magazine in the mail today and lo-and-behold: they sell a camera and the necessary mounting accessories with it.

Problem with that is you have to buy this whole new camera. It's not that expensive, but the prospect of buying another camera that's probably "inferior" to what you have currently isn't a very appealing one. I do not know if the mounting hardware can be sold separately or even if it is compatible with any other cameras. Judging by the look of the camera, however, I think it isn't. (The camera has a weatherproof shell so it looks like the hardware would be custom designed for its chassis)

MGarrison

grab an issue of grassroots motorsports, there's probably advertisers in there selling a number of things. I thought I saw a Roundel ad for something lately too?

Dr Obnxs guest

az3579

That's not compatible with a regular digital camera, is it?

Dr Obnxs guest

Yep

it uses a standard screw mount that goes into the bottom of a camera. I'll post a photo later...

Matt

az3579

Ah, beautiful. I asked because that 'strap' thing that was in the pic of the .pdf file looked way too large for my camera and wouldn't hold it very well. It wouldn't hold it at all, in fact.

I can only assume they come with more than one 'strap'. How much did it cost?

Dr Obnxs guest

It's $45 plus tax and shipping.

You can buy it from the site. The strap is there because some clubs/tracks require a second way to clamp things down (safety, you know). FWIW, I took mine off.

Matt

ltir guest

Thanks Matt! This is the exact mount I found during my internet search and was hoping to use. I asked my local NASA group if I could use it in my upcoming HPDE and they asked me to hold off purchasing it until they had a chance to review it and ensure it meets their safety standards. Unfortunately; I later noticed on their tech sheet that they do not want camera mounts in cars that will have instructors. This will be my first HPDE, so I’ll probably have an instructor with me the whole day (which is fine by me). Since I thought reviewing the video of my runs would help me identify areas for improvement; do you know if BMW CCA HPDEs allow cameras in cars with instructors?

-Russ

Dr Obnxs guest

No clue...

but it's a five minute install, remove.

A buddy has an iPhone and just uses that with a suction cup mount on the windshield.

Matt

agranner guest

How's the picture from a camera mounted to one headrest? It seems like it would get shaken up a bit.

-- Aubrey Granner

Dr Obnxs guest

It's not as bad as you'd think....

if you mount it to a seat with a person seated, it's even better. Of course, lighter video cameras are better than heavier ones. I have a little Sony that uses the small digital tapes. Works pretty well.

In my Mustang (has a roll bar) I use a better clamp, but with no cage in the Mini the options are somewhat reduced.

Matt

vonzoom

For what its worth, I use a standard camera tripod. I use four hold down straps to hold the tripod it place. One on each side, connected through a hole in the seat slide on the floor then to the top of the tripod just below the camera mount, and the third from the top of the tripod mount to the child restraint on top of the rear seat. A fourth strap is used as a thther connected to the video camera and then to the other child restraint connection over the rear seat. Each strap is made tight. This makes for a very secure system, and vibration is minium.
    Hope this will help.
    vz
    • Staff

steven s

First HPDE? I certainly hope you have an instructor all day. :eek:

Cameras are up to the chapter. I don't know of any chapters not allowing them, unless improperly mounted. But cameras can be distracting. There are some students that drive for the camera.

I have a harness bar with a camera mount installed. The harness bar is only for the mount.
    I've seen mounts on the rear headrests. If you use a mount on the passenger seat, its going to be pointing in the wrong direction once your instructor adjusts his/her seat. And trust me, it's not going to sit well if you delay your session to adjust your camera.

CRKrieger

Here ya go:

1) Drill a 3/16" hole in the middle of your hood.

[IMG]

Do it on the passenger side out of your line of sight.

2) Mount your camera with a 1/4-20 bolt (because that's what most camera mounts are).

[IMG]

It's that easy! :D