Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 sport seats

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Autohaus, Apr 12, 2009.

Autohaus guest

I just won a bid on sport seats for the E39. I plan on picking them up in NH this Wednesday. The bid includes:

Heated front sport seats from a 2000 540i w/headrests
    Rear fold down seats w/headrests
    Side panels (4) with wood trim

My E39 doesn't have fold down seats so is it possible to do a simple swap or would the baseboard (?) have to be cut between the seats and the trunk? Is it pretty staightforward in switching my regular seats to the sport seats? I might have B come over next weekend to help me do the switch if he is available.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Fronts, easy. Rears, cutting the bulkhead is required.

Autohaus guest

Thats good to know. I just though of selling the panels and the fold down seats along with my regular seats to make up the money I just spent ;). Having rear folding seats is not earth shattering, ya know? Would asking $300 for the whole set be fair? Too high, too low or just about right? They are black and my front regular seats are a 9/10. The side panels that I would get are about the same condition and the rears about 10/10.

drummerfc

So ya made the plunge and went for 'em, eh? Nice! You will like the extending part of the seat...very comfy! :)

Autohaus guest

Yup, I went for them. Once installed, the E39 will be 75% sport package. I'm just missing the steering wheel and the shadowline trim.

CSBM5

01-03 525i sport pkg cars didn't have shadowline trim as I recall.

drummerfc

Did you get the "M" shift-knob too??

vtx guest

Autohaus - you do remember that fold down rear seats squeak and rattle, right? :)

TeamStowell We love driving!

I love the sport seats. I have a monthly 280 mile trip to Buffalo from Albany, and after the non-stop drive I feel no aches or pain! Now if only they had the massage feature found in the 7 series...

Autohaus guest

Excellent point. I have noticed E39 525i's with the chrome strip.

A friend of mine gave me his "6-speed M" shift-knob a couple of months ago :p. It is sitting in the backseat somewhere.

I don't plan on keeping them. They will be sold along with my regular standard seats and the door panels that were included in the auction.

I know you love them because you wouldn't trade seats with me when I asked you during the Fishkill meet last summer :(

Autohaus guest

So B is coming over to my house to help me swap out the seats on Saturday and to paint his new euroweave. Paul, you mentioned that the front seats would be easy. How long would it take two lug nuts to figure it out :confused:. Any special tools needed?

Dmarque

75% ???? Not quite Pards!! Cosmetically MAYBE.....but hardly near the True M-Sport. The true sport package would include much more like a 3.15 gear ratio, Torque Converter, lowered firmer suspension, stiffer springs and shocks, anti-sway bar. Here is a link for you to review:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540options.htm

Dmarque

TSport Versus TRUE M-Sport Package.....ended in 2003.

75% ???? Not quite Pards!! Cosmetically MAYBE.....but hardly near the True M-Sport. The true sport package would include much more like a 3.15 gear ratio, Torque Converter, lowered firmer suspension, stiffer springs and shocks, anti-sway bar. Here is a link for you to review:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540options.htm

Autohaus guest

This car came stock with the M tuned suspension (ie lowered firmer suspension, stiffer springs and shocks and the anit-sway bars). However, I must applaud you for pointing out that I don't have the 3.15 g/r :). Seats are taking forever to ship. I just got off the phone with them and they said that my local truck depot should be calling me either today or Monday for a time/day to be picked up.

Autohaus guest

Ok, B is on his way to my house now to install the sport seats. We have a Bentley so I'm sure we can remove my standard seats and install these bad boys. Paul, if we run into problems I'll call you :eek:

Autohaus guest

Took about 3 hours but they are installed.

az3579

Sport seatssss... :D

Autohaus guest

Thats right! They add about 12 hp to the rear wheels. Remember that!