Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Helmet suggestions and sizing!

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Solidjake, Apr 10, 2009.

Solidjake guest

Brian A

Here is a link to a prior thread with a lot of tips on helmet purchase:
    http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2849

Different helmets fit differently, so if you possibly can, it would be best to buy one at a motorcycle shop (rather than from a website) where you can try them on and find one you like. Padding helps some to make a slightly big helmet fit better, but you can't go too far with it.

The critical thing is that the helmet meets the Snell/DOT rating required by the organization you'll be running with. For most, that currently means Snell M2000 or Snell SA2000 certification or newer.

Solidjake guest

Thanks Brian. Someone recommended me a motorcycle shop by my place. I'll take a look soon.
    • Staff

steven s

Check with who you are going to participate with to.
    $100 helmet is not going to have a Snell rating.
    And you MUST try it on in person.
    Sizes vary between manufactures and models.

az3579

Wrong. I got my helmet for $90, and it is Snell SA-2005M certified. I bought it on eBay about 2 years ago and has been allowed onto the track at our chapter's Driver's Schools every time. The requirements are that the helmet must meet Snell SA2000 or 2005 certifications.

1996 328ti guest

That was new?

az3579

Brand spankin' new.

Solidjake guest

1996 328ti guest

Solidjake guest

az3579

$258.99

If you're willing to shell out that kind of cash for a helmet then obviously price is not a concern. I thought you needed something less than $100?

Solidjake guest

Well help me find a snell2005 for under 200 or even less :D

Come down to NYC next month for the autocross bro

az3579

Send me details. I wanna try my first AutoX.

MGarrison

I have a T-Shirt that says:

"Acme Bungee Company -
    We skimp on safety so you don't have to!"

I'm all for saving as much money as you can, when you can, just make sure you don't compromise critical safety aspects. Your brain is kinda important, (you just might need it), and your helmet is supposed to offer head protection, thus the rationale for requiring Snell rated helmets. Find one that meets the specs at whatever budget fits, but also consider whether it's worth a bit more for an SA rating.

On the less-is-more side of the argument, the club updates the minimum required every 5 years; 2010 will be the last year to use a SA2000 helmet, after that it will be 2005 or 2010, so perhaps a 2 year stop-gap until the SA2010's become available, and one of those would be valid for 10 years; Otoh, a 2005 now should, requirements-wise, be good to 2015. Not that it's particularly recommended to use a helmet that long; the shell loses flexibility as it ages and it is claimed that a 5 year old helmet does not offer as good protection as a newer one, much less one that's nearly 10 yrs. old.

Solidjake guest

mattm

Solidjake guest

This small business was suggested by a friend. The guy came over with the helmet I wanted and two sizes for me to try on. Fit perfectly and I bought it. :D

[IMG]
    [IMG]

mattm

az3579

My work buddy told me about that one. I wanted to attend the April 26th session but was unable to because I was helping Chris with his sport seatsssssssss. :D

I'm definitely going to the May 10th one though!

Brian A

I love autocross because pushing the car to 10/10ths is relatively safe. On a race track, you need to leave a greater safety margin since the consequences of wiping out are so high. If the session is well organized and people are followng the rules, autocross is relatively safe.