Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Torque Specs for DIY E60 brakes and oil change

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by 2004 525i, Apr 9, 2009.

2004 525i guest

So my wife upgraded her e39 to an e60 it is a 2004 so at least we still have a dipstick. In the past I have used the the old Bentley guide to help in the maintenance of the old e39 and my e36. The 2004 525i is due for an oil change and brakes all the way around. I am comfortable doing both jobs without a book (although it would be nice) but I can't find any information of the torque specs I would need. I don't want to damage the oilpan, rotors, calipers etc. so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

CSBM5

The BMW TIS shows the torque for the oil drain plug (12x1.5) as 25 N-m, brake guides bolts are shown as the same for all BMWs at 30.5 N-m, brake caliper to steering knuckle same for E39 and E60 at 110 N-m, and brake disc to wheel hub same for all BMWs at 16 N-m.

In the notes on brake caliper to steering knuckle mounting it states: screws lightly oiled, contract surfaces between brake caliper and steering knuckle cleaned and grease-free. I haven't realized in the past that the caliper main mounting bolts were to be "lightly oiled". When I installed Stoptech brakes on the M5, I'm positive that the torque values Stoptech provided where for dry threads (or at least they didn't mention anything different, but the threads in the steering knuckle would probably still have had some oil on them) -- have to look into this.

2004 525i guest

Thanks for your help. In the future when I need more information where can I access TIS? The dealer mentioned I could pay around $30 a day or $3,000 a year for access to BMW service info online. Is TIS what I find available on ebay as a CD-ROM that sells for $10?

CSBM5

Yep, I bought one off eBay for ~$10 a couple of years back. It's been very useful.

I also use www.realoem.com for looking up part numbers and for diagrams. I then take those part numbers into www.getbmwparts.com where you can see the BMWNA list price for the part along with Tischer BMW's discounted price (and order directly from them if desired).

Regards,

2004 525i guest

Thanks for your help. I also use RealOEM it is a great resource. I usually use Pelican Parts or Bavauto for parts but I will check out the dealer you mentioned. I ordered my ebay CD so I should be all set. Thanks again for your help and enjoy the holiday weekend.