Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Euro Plate Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wanderlustbob, Apr 9, 2009.

Wanderlustbob guest

I have seen several pictures here of cars wth Euro license plates and several of you have mentioned them in posts.

I also love the look of a Euro license plate. Is it legal to get such a plate and put it on a current model car? Or would it be required that the car had the tag in Europe originally?

I have an Aunt in Germany and might be able to get such a license plate. That sounds cool.

Bob
    Hou. TX
    2009 335i E93 Convertible
    Space Gray Black Dakota Leather
    Sport Package Premium Package
    Smart phone integration for I-Phone

az3579

If you go to www.bavauto.com and look around you can customer order a plate with whatever text you want on it. I think it's $39.95. http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Or you can order one with random numbers and letters for five bucks less.

John in VA

Autohaus guest

The plate and frame in my avatar was purchased from Ebay in 2002 for about $25 shipped.

BMWtoyz guest

Technically, it is not legal. Check your local states for fictitious display of plates.

pseto

and for some reason, i've seen people put their normal license plates OVERTOP their europlate in the rear. never was a fan of the 2 plate look

eam3

It's a showoff thing. I think they want to display the European plate behind their US plate as if to show that they picked up the car in Europe. I never cared for that look either.

az3579

Eh? Isn't it only illegal of it's a fictitious display of a plate that resembles the current state plate? It's common sense that a Euro plate is not meant to be used in the US so why would it be illegal? I've genuinely never heard of this law, and have never seen or heard of someone being pulled over for having a Euro plate on... :confused:

Wanderlustbob guest

I definitely agree two plates woud look silly.

I guess that answered that curiosity.

Space Gray - Black Dakota Leather
    Premium Package Sport Package
    Smart phone integration for I-Phone

BMWtoyz guest

Some people from Europe are here legally and have Euro plates, so if you are using one not currently registered to the car it is illegal and fictiticous! For example here in Washington it is simply unlawful to place any license plate on a vehicle other than those issued by the state, "... It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle..." (RCW 46.16.240) The state of Idaho is about the same, "fictitious" meaning that the plates are fake as in not pertaining to the vehicle they are attached to. Most states have some sort of similar law (Interstate Compact Act). Here it is an arrestable offense.