Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Mounting front license plate

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wanderlustbob, Apr 3, 2009.

Wanderlustbob guest

Hmmmm! I still keep thinking about what that one officer I asked told me, "Lot's of police officers own sports cars and don't mount their own front plate. . . . " Maybe that argument will fly. I am glad that in Texas if you put it on after they will take the ticket off.

Hmmm! If it's not too expensive and doesn't effect car insurance what's a little fine!

Hey AZ don't ya ever break the rules just a little bit?

az3579

Of course! I break the speed limit CONSTANTLY!
    It's the only law I'm wiling to break, and I'll do that any day of the week, 365.25 days a year, and NOT feel guilty about it, because the speed limit is the most ridiculous rule out there. But that's just my opinion. :)

Besides, I put my plate on because my diving board looks even more HIDEOUS than usual without a front plate because there's no blanking plate or license plate mount on there, just the metal tabs and the ugly metal of the bumper behind the plate. Eww.
    This is what it looks like without a plate:

[IMG]

Yeah, much uglier than any of your amazing cars. :(

Autohaus guest

Here in NY we are required to have a front plate on. However, I don't have a front NY plate on my E28 as a euro plate occupies that space. On both the E46 and the E39 I have euro plates and NY plates. Looks very busy but I like the look of the euro plate. I have seen other cars (bmw's, VW's, Audi's) with no front NY plate but only a euro plate. I wonder how they don't get pulled over :confused:
    • Staff

steven s

I think we can get the rear bumper trim and cut it to make it fit the front where the front plate bracket should be.

az3579

Doesn't change the fact that they're diving boards and are ugly anyway.
    • Staff

steven s

There is that! :eek:

Wanderlustbob guest

AZ you had me rolling on the floor laughing when I saw that you took a photo with the front plate off. The only question is did you dare to make one lap around the block without the plate? LOL

az3579

This was before I mounted my plate in the first place.

I drove around with it off for about a year until I found out that it's law here to have both plates on. The cops don't bother me here because you'd better be face down in the street stabbed for the cops to show up here, but in places like (5 minutes from here) Trumbull, the cops have nothing better to do than to stop people for going 1 over the speed limit. Headaches I don't want to deal with.

Wanderlustbob guest

I received the hide away plate holder today in the mail and it looks like it will work. Now I just have to decide if I want to mount it or go without.

I didnt really even need the hideaway feature I just dont really want to drill the front bumper.