Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Question regarding autocrossing.

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Rono174, Mar 31, 2009.

Rono174 guest

Hey everyone, I'm a noob but am really interested in trying autocross, But im a little worried. I have a 98 318ti and it is my daily driver; The car has 128k miles. Can I also use this thing to autocross or its not recommended? I'd greatly appreciate any help or advice you guys give me.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

If it can pass a tech inspection it is OK. Make sure the cooling system is good (particulary the water flange at the back of the head- it is a plastic POS), no worn out steering or suspension parts, good brakes, and you are golden.

gokartmozart guest

Try it once, and you will certainly be hooked! Enjoy!:D
    • Staff

steven s

The motor is just getting broken it. ;)

Rono174 guest

so funny how you mentioned the water flange, it just screwed up yesterday!! I was driving home and my cars temperature was going up. I pull over and a massive amount of smoke was coming from my hood. I'm going to have to tow my car today

Brian A

Man, you are thinking about this completely backward: the worse your car, the more you can blame it for your slow times. You have a great autocross car!

Me? I'm campaigning this year in my brand new displacementally challenged 1991 318i (http://www.justracing.com/homepage/BrianA). It's gonna be great!

... Search the BMW CCA forums for many threads on how to prepare for autocross. Basically its just show up and have a blast.

Rono174 guest

Thank you guys for the support; I'm very excited now lol and very happy that I joined the club. Alot of people were telling me negative things about my car, so i was feeling a little down.
    • Staff

steven s

A lot of people think the ti is the bottom of the BMW food chain. I for one don't agree. :D

Bimmerdan

I agree 100%!!, The ti is one of the most enjoyable cars BMW ever built! I bought mine new in '95 and have more autocross runs in that car than I can count. Like Brian said...you have a GREAT autocross car. It's a lot more nimble and tossable than just about any other model BMW has put out. In that respect it is a little like the 2002.

Of all the BMW's I have (or had), the ti would rank really close to the top in pure 'fun factor'.

[IMG]

Rono174 guest

Thank you all!