Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Transmission swap thread omnibus

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by mooseheadm5, Mar 29, 2009.

Autohaus guest

Well my question does apply to your thread in a way, ya know? :) It does have a transmission question in it ;)

az3579

This thread is for information regarding transmission swaps, not "what is the best tranny for this or that". For that kind of stuff, start your own thread, in the appropriate subforum.

We need to have a mod clean up this thread, but somehow I doubt one will show up.

Autohaus guest

I just found this site in the Roundel. Partsed.com. They do 5-speed conversion kits for older models (E24, E28, E30, E34, etc...) and it would be around $2300 if you had them do it.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Cripes, you can buy a good running parts car for that, pay someone to do the swap, and part the car out for that price.

Autohaus guest

Your price would be cheaper?!

Where are you located? I'm thinking about swapping the Auto in my 88 635CSi to a 5-SP. I'm looking a a conversion kit from EuroDepot. Your thoughts? What would you charge to do the swap with all parts provided?

mooseheadm5

Your Motronic 1.3 6 series requires more work to get it swapped properly. I believe the programming for the ECU is different, and I also think the TPS is different. I am in Charlottesville, VA. THe price of their components is high because it looks like they provide new clutch parts and such, and they clean everything up nicely, but you can probably buy a whole parts car for that price and sell off other parts and come out ahead (provided you have saleable parts left on the car.)

Thanks Paul. I really like the EuroDepot package due to the new clutch parts and the fact that they include everything needed. How many Tranny swap have you under your belt? Have you done a swap on a Motronic 1.3? The EuroDepot folks tell me it's about a 10 hour job to swap the trans and they estimate the labor at around $800. What would you charge to complete the job? I'm about 2 hours away in Annapolis MD.

-Mike

mooseheadm5

Starting with my first trans and complete EFI swap into a 75 E12 when I was 17? More than a few. I have not done a swap on a 1.3 car, though, which is why I am not sure about the TPS and ECU programming. A quick trip to realoem will sort that out, though. 10 hours is about right for labor. You will want to contact them with your VIN before making any plans. Your late 6 series is a little different from the earlier ones in a couple ways, so you will want to make sure that they have the parts you need in stock. I noticed the kit price on the E34 535i is $400 more than the E28 535i. That 10 hour quote is for most cars according to their website.
    Incidentally, if you don't want to make the trip, check with rrtservice.com. This is my brother's shop and he can handle it with no problem as well.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

e46 325 manual convert from 5 to 6 speed

Ok, I have a transmission conversion question!

I just picked up a 2002 325 iT. It is going to replace a '93 VW Passat 5-speed wagon. The VR6 in the VW and the M54 in the 325 seem to have very similar torque/horsepower profiles. However the 325 is much lower geared. I am looking at ~4000 RPM at 77 mph in 5th gear vs about 3200 in the VW. What this BMW needs is a 6th cog in the tranny.

Is there a plug and play transmission swap for this car based on something I can get from a slavage yard?

All insights most appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

DHGone guest

89iC

Paul,
    I have an 89 iC with a front and rear seal leak, but the transmission still works at 139,000; however, what I read indicates that is about its life span.

What later automatic (preferably a 4spd/OD) can I put in without having problems with electronics, or perhaps I should what is basically a purely mechanical switch (perhaps with a new selector indicator or something else simple).
    DH

mooseheadm5

There is no later automatic that you can use. Sorry! If you change the fluid and filter and fix the leaks, the trans will likely be OK.

mooseheadm5

Yes and no. Once you do the swap with all the parts from a like-year 325, you will need to have the car programmed to believe that it is a manual, and that requires a shop with an Autologic or GT1, and may even require the cluster from the other car.